"The world thinks I faked a drone crashing through my office window and into my head"

1 Like

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/HJWF2LL/A/dji-phantom-4-camera-drone?afid=p238|sQLxNT7Ag-dc_mtid_1870765e38482_pcrid_80492267170_&cid=aos-us-kwg-pla-btb-slid- This one which looks a lot like the one in the article can go 45 miles an hour. That combined with a good wind gust around buildings can get it going to 90 MPH easy if it’s out of control (it doesn’t take much altitude to get big gusts).

From there it all depends on how the drone hit. If it broadsided the window it would just bounce off, but if it got blown into it in a gust, which happens a lot around large buildings, it could easily hit at a point on it (namely any of the legs) and that’d easily break the window if it’s going at a good clip.

Yeah, this is totally plausible, to be honest. It doesn’t take much to break a window if you concentrate that much force on one point, and drones sure as hell can go quite fast.

2 Likes

Maybe, maybe not. Drones can travel at over 100 MPH, especially if a gust gets it and there are many plastics and resins that are much sturdier than a baseball; plastics aren’t just the flimsy stuff you’re used to having containers made of. There are plenty of structural plastics that I would trust my life to (and many that all of us do without even realizing it :stuck_out_tongue: ). And the drone has one key thing a baseball doesn’t have, POINTS. All it takes to break a window is a point and little bit of force. If you want to experiment with this and trash your hand, punch a glass pane with and without a ring. You may not be able to break it with your bare hand, but punch it with a ring on and you’ll break that glass for sure (and probably sever your hand at the same time).

2 Likes

When hit. But a lot of broken windows come from kids playing catch. Also, the average kid tosses about a softer version (although same size) Little League style ball at much slower speed. It’s incredibly rare to see a Little Leaguer throw 80 mph, and even rarer for out of shape adults to go beyond 50 mph.

So you’re telling me he’s probably a redditor?

3 Likes

I’m a public sector medical doctor. I own a house and a dinghy.

You must do a lot of private practice … :wink:

2 Likes

At least the drone wasn’t being chased by a bear.

Mostly in Austin area coffee shops. You never know. Toothpicks. Toothpicks.

“You should quit traumatizing drone head injury victims.”

1 Like

What did I just watch?! :worried:

1 Like

Hard to tell from that weirdly disjointed video, but generally office windows are a little sturdier than those in Ol Lady Jessups house out back a th sandlot.

Yeah but you also have to look at the pay off. Hoaxes rarely are just random shit. They are something like “amazing shots”, or something where it looks like it is going to go bad and then it doesn’t at the last second (element of danger), or showing aliens or big foot or something.

I too thought about windows being too robust for breaking, but then I saw the pics and these aren’t the thick ones used in sky scrapers. It is more or less like the window in your house in an older brick building. It also isn’t a great shot of the action. If you were going to fake it, you would want to make it a convincing shot, like a direct ram into the window. Instead you get a confusing run into the window backwards.

I too enjoy a healthy dose of skepticism, but Occam’s razor often applies in these sort of things.

3 Likes

Hit in the head with a drone? Ouch! Also Bagpipes: weapons of self-defense

1 Like

This is a South African (read: third world) office building, and it’s overwhelmingly obvious that it’s not a tempered window, as what is used in the USA in all office buildings that I know of. It’s crappy soft glass. Of course it can be broken easily!

Well maybe they should work on upgrading their office building infrastructure before throwing away their weird-looking money on toys from ThinkGeek.

Besides, South Africa can’t be “Third World” – they have white people!

2 Likes

Everywhere has white people. The coldest plateau, the hottest desert, the highest mountain and the deepest oceanic rift; they crop up everywhere and you can’t get rid of them.

3 Likes

It’s a clip from Richard Linkletter’s first feature, Slacker. Plot summary: There is no plot.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.