The world's busiest air hub? It's Dubai, and it's fabulous

[Permalink]

Oh boy! An airport where you can be arrested and thrown in prison for four years for unknowingly having a microscopic trace of cannabis on the bottom of your shoe while changing planes (or any of a number of other ā€˜drugā€™ crimes, such as having cold medications in your system). Yeah, sounds fabulousā€¦

Fuck Dubai.

Sure, that terminal might be pretty, but it is just a gloss over a hideous ugliness underneath that boggles the mind.

6 Likes

Oh, sure, it all seems fabulous until you attempt to enjoy a beer between flights.

Far worse is the unadulterated slave labor that is responsible for Dubaiā€™s explosive growth. The glamorous facade masks some very ugly, brutal truths and practices.

4 Likes

Slave-based economies are fabulous! Yay!!

2 Likes

Donā€™t get so excited, slave built monuments for the priveledged is a tradition as old as man.

Iā€™ve read that Italy and Germany had very busy, but well run train systems in the first half of the last century. Can we read more about those, too?

3 Likes

The article didnā€™t make clear how they determined London and Dubai to be international hubs while Beijing and Atlanta to be domestic hubs. Both airports have significant international routes. Are they excluding domestic flights from the airportā€™s count in order to put Dubai ahead of the busier airports in Beijing and Atlanta? Seems like whatever metric theyā€™re using it is a bit convoluted to get the result they want to fit the article.

1 Like

Itā€™s just a count of international flights, isnā€™t it?

Edit: passengers, not flights.

as opposed to:

Not to mention if youā€™re carrying prescription medications that are illegal in Dubai, you have to dispose of them. You need a certified letter from your Doctor and current prescription.

Hereā€™s a handy list many of which are simple over the counter drugs we travel with every day.

Dubai for all itā€™s space age tech, is still just a very rich irrational theocracy.
Ohā€¦and donā€™t be gay.

1 Like

Interestingā€“Iā€™m from Atlanta and didnā€™t realize there was a distinction made. Atlanta is a huge hub for domestic flights/connections, thanks to Delta. Itā€™s also a major freight hub, thanks to the shipping port in Savannah and hosting UPSā€™s headquarters (and possibly due to its rail history? not sure on this, though), so Iā€™m sure that contributes to its traffic count somehow.

1 Like

See what slave labor will get you?

1 Like

I wonder if those celebrities who were boycotting that hotel chain owned by the Sultan of Bruneii similarly go out of their way to avoid Dubai and UAE.

Personal experience: for all the problems of Mid-East airports, Iā€™ve never had a problem getting a beer in the airport itself.

Going outside however, is something Iā€™ve never tried, so I canā€™t speak to.

1 Like

Arenā€™t advertisements supposed to be marked as sponsored posts? I canā€™t imagine any other reason for inane gushing about Dubaiā€™s ā€œfabulousnessā€ on the same site that routinely decries oppression in Eastern Europe, Russia, Syria, the U.S., etc.

1 Like

It is pretty and space^h5 resort-ey, but I not-heart this.

Please note that this is apparently only going by number of international passengers; Atlantaā€™s airport is still #1 by number of total passengers. I doubt that Dubai has many domestic flights, given that thereā€™s nowhere to go in the country itself. Also. of course, the article reeks of the sort of money-soaked junket that Dubai has used to promote itself for at least a decade, if not more. Iā€™m still waiting to read about some real reason to go there, ā€œreal reasonā€ not including that lots of rich people have thrown their money at it or that theyā€™ve got a couple of artificial islands in the shape of palm trees.

You think all those people are going to Atlanta to visit the Coke museum? Dubaiā€™s airport is busy for the same reason Atlantaā€™s is: itā€™s a major hub for international travel (mainly between Asia, Africa, and the Middle East).

Also, I bet Xeni wouldnā€™t think itā€™s so fabulous if the workers came from Guatemala and not South and Southeast Asia.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.