The world's largest occult library has a public online archive

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/21/gnostic-gnowledge.html

5 Likes

Do want Cthulhu? Cause this is how you get Cthulhu.

22 Likes

As a matter of fact…

10 Likes
5 Likes

Not sure about the claim in the post title. The Edgar Cayce ARE library has long claimed to have the largest collection of occult-related topics in the world, 80,000 volumes!

3 Likes

I really don’t like the works of Dan Brown, but at least he did something good with the proceeds I guess.

4 Likes

Have to reply because I’ve seen the opening for this film (too stoned to finish it, which should tell you something). Ya want weird? Ya want that Shakespeare guy too? BOOM.

1 Like

Edgar Cayce tends more to stupid, horrilby long ramblings than the occult.

Also [quote=“Mankoi, post:6, topic:150130”]
I really don’t like the works of Dan Brown
[/quote]
Pluaral? My GOD, man! You’ve read more than five pages of that drivel?? Damned ye are! Damned I say!!!

1 Like

Oh, it’s excellent. Much recommend.

If it’s publicly available and online is it really occult? I mean doesn’t it literally mean hidden knowledge?

8 Likes

Also [quote=“Mankoi, post:6, topic:150130”]
I really don’t like the works of Dan Brown
[/quote]
Pluaral? My GOD, man! You’ve read more than five pages of that drivel?? Damned ye are! Damned I say!!!

Checks out.

Enjoy your night :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Yeah, you can visit it once, but how do you get rid of the ghost that moves into your keybodndjdhdhchc

2 Likes

Public Domain and trying to block scraping cracks knuckles is today the day I get a decent use out of Rselenium?

4 Likes

Kind of like Mick Hucknall (Simply Red) using the money he made from their soft soul pap to set up the Blood And Fire Label to re-release old reggae & dub records.

2 Likes

The books are only part of the knowledge. They tend to have some pretty heavy metaphors and symbolism that require some form of guide. You can read some of this type of book cover to co er and the meaning of huge sections will remain opaque without some outside help.

5 Likes

a… spellbook? :thinking:

1 Like

This is pretty funny. :slight_smile:

However I will say, much occult material is totally open and out in the public. Besides the Rosicrucian eyeball over the pyramid on the dollar bill, there are maaaany other occult symbols wed into American and global culture.

The funny thing is, the “big secret” of Western occultism is basically, it’s kind of just poorly-interpreted eastern philosophy. Well, some Western occultism is interesting, but it’s hardly original in any case.

3 Likes

‘Hidden knowledge’ can be revealed and then – in an awkward stretch – be called 'formerly hidden knowledge’, but that would be just as awkward as ‘formally occult’ .

I’ll stick with ‘occult’ for the duration. :slight_smile:

Speaking of that…

… anyone here seen the movie Hereditary yet?

There.
Are.
Chills.

The Necromomicon is going to be my first search…

2 Likes