The world's shortest train

I didn’t realise that the Thunderdome was a scandal (despite the 50% mortality rate).

8 Likes

All true. On the other hand, Americans long ago recognized what a terribly awkward and malformed word “maths” is, and rejected it wholesale. So on the balance, I think the score is even.

7 Likes

Nante mijikai!!

2 Likes

Your train isn’t so short! (Punchline, Shaggy Train Story).

Way to generalize!

5 Likes

Everybody always forgets about those destroyed teapots.
Wait. That was what that* scandal was about wasn’t it?

* Just in case anybody really doesn’t know what @simonize was referring to.

4 Likes

It’s the Smartcar of trains.

3 Likes

(I’ll just say at the outset: I didn’t start it.)
Abbreviations and Zs do not break a language. Wars on abstract nouns such as the American war on prepositions, do.

… OF

I may be making too much OF a fuss but is it that big A deal to ask people to just stop inserting redundant OFs?
I guess it is not too big of a deal, but is too big a deal. Sigh.

And it’s not much of a train either as it is too small a vehicle to qualify, it seems, technically.
(This IS a thread about technicalities, right?)

In the UK, the Railways Act 1993 says:

“train” means—
(a) two or more items of rolling stock coupled together, at least one of which is a locomotive; or
(b) a locomotive not coupled to any other rolling stock;

So the legal profession clearly care little for your grandfather and his etymology.

(My grandfather was a railwayman too, as it happens).

4 Likes

My grandfather died in 1967. Note the date on your Act.
I could be boring and point out too that legal English is not English - for instance the workaround for the lack of an indefinite third person singular that “the male includes the female” - but rather than do that I’ll let you enjoy your sense of superiority.

2 Likes

The UK legal profession (though I think you mean legislature) has little relevance to non-UK “things that purport to be trains”. What does the Japanese Railways Act say? That’s what we all need to know if we’re ever going to move on from this terrible schism and return to our previous unity.

7 Likes

It’s not that short. It’s just travelling very close to the speed of light.

13 Likes

“Trumpocolypse” seems too easy, somehow. I guess he needs to actually sit on the throne and make a real call and have it turn out badly, before we’ll know what to call it.

1 Like

Trumpageddon? TRapture? The Seventh Trump(et)? The Trumpbacle? I hate to say it, even in jest, but Trumpocaust?

2 Likes

/puts on serious hat
So, 3D model or actual train visually compressed with video editing software?

3 Likes

Don’t let details like that stop us from mocking Americans! Full speed ahead!

3 Likes

Thank you for writing my rant. Unfortunately British English seems to have imported the unnecessary of too.

This one looks smaller: it’s in Tutzing Train Station in Bavaria, with a 16 cm height difference.

4 Likes

they have one in the movie ‘malcolm’

Forsooth!

But now UK legal terminology agrees with the colloquial usage that train can mean a locomotive without other rolling stock.

The video calls it a 電車, which is basically electricity + vehicle, i.e. electric train. So it doesn’t look like it has the same etymology of ‘a connected series of things’.