The worse your town was hit by austerity, the more likely you were to vote for Brexit

Why on earth would anybody use a blue-white-red colourmap for data that is (are) all positive? Isn’t that a crime worse than jet?

You are: you’re leaving the rest of Ireland. And also the European mainland.

2 Likes

You know that we don’t only pay tax on our income right? There’s VAT and fuel duty for starters.
Plus, where do you think their food, drink and housing come from? Yup, that’s all more money into the economy.
Feh, I’ll let some actual economists break it down.
The short version is, immigration to the UK makes us all better off, because immigrants pay more into the economy than they receive.

Plus, none of this has much to do with the EU. As members of the EU we have freedom of movement across the EU, so we have to allow French and Spanish people to come over here, and in return we can travel and work freely in the EU as well.
However, the immigrants that people complain about are from outside the EU, and our membership in the EU has no bearing on it. We allow people from outside the EU to come and live here mostly because it’s in our economic interest (see above), and occasionally (and not regularly enough imo) because we’re trying to help someone who is a refugee.
If we wanted to stop immigration into the UK from outside the EU we could do that now just as easily as if we weren’t an EU member. The real problem is that the government knows that immigrants are a net benefit, but they want votes from people who don’t see that.
(and if I were being excessively cynical I’d add ‘and to hide that they are the ones taking from the system’)

9 Likes

The ‘they’ in both examples is different people; ‘England’ (the UK) did this entirely to themselves. Both Greece and Ireland (and Portugal and Spain) have suffered in the last few years, but no-one is talking about them leaving the EU. What do they know that we don’t?

2 Likes

National debt (and pensions for that matter) don’t work that way, and you know it.

5 Likes

Well, at least some of what you’ve included comes under their council tax, not including the additional taxes someone else mentioned. But you also know that too, don’t you?

5 Likes

Austerity victims voting for Brexit always came across as “Oh, we hate austerity! Let’s increase the power the Tories have!” to me…

3 Likes

A right wing Conservative government has been in power since 2010 - It was that very Conservative government that imposed wide ranging cuts to services and advised against BREXIT.

Elite?, maybe, liberal? Not even close.

3 Likes

With most other users I’d have suggested that simply putting a “neo” in front of the word “liberal” would have made that sentence far more coherent, accurate and wide-ranging. I won’t be doing that in this case.

1 Like

Yeah. “Liberal” only in the classical economic sense aka Neo-liberal aka Neo-conservative. I find it more simple just to call them the “moneyed elite”. And left-wing they ain’t.

2 Likes

For which I raise you:

2 Likes

No one did anything to the UK. The UK got more exceptions to EU laws, budget and regulations than anyone else. Secondly the EU is what is today because the UK blockaded meaningful reforms for decades. Like a spoiled child the UK demanded continued and increasing special treatment and left the playing field in a huff when told enough is enough.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.