The worst thing about Theranos wasn't the hinky blood testing machines or the alleged fraud

Originally published at: The worst thing about Theranos wasn't the hinky blood testing machines or the alleged fraud | Boing Boing

…

13 Likes

Scary stare & deep froggy voice was enough for me…

11 Likes

Rob, are you playing around with Deepfakes?!

Dear Zod, who let you in that toybox?!

9 Likes

Arizona’s high rate of uninsured residents also struck Holmes and her colleagues as a business opportunity, as they imagined that people paying out of pocket could be enticed by Theranos’s low-priced menu and try to make do without access to primary care.

It’s not bad genetic science (really eugenics) but rather late-stage disaster capitalism that will lead us to the Idiocracy…

9 Likes

I do think that there is an issue with access to basic healthcare that requires costly doctors. Even a cheap prescription for birth control can require a doctor visit costing whatever the doctor decides to charge. I recently had a COVID test that cost 2300 dollars. More nurse based healthcare and more consumer access to medications would go far to reducing healthcare costs. Currently America’s healthcare system is like an airplane with only a first class section. If you can’t afford it you are screwed with either no healthcare or will end up with a bill that will bankrupt you. Sadly no politician will ever question the profit motive of the AMA or Big Pharma in a meaningful way.

11 Likes

There are politicians who question our broken for-profit health insurance system (the one that provides openings for greedy sociopaths like Holmes). The problem is the two duopoly parties. One of them has a Third Way establishment that actively works to exclude and marginalise politicians like Sanders and Ocasio-Cortez who run under it’s banner. The other, with an establishment that was already adamant in its opposition to single-payer universal, has been hijacked by racist death cultists who are actively trying to make the situation worse.

12 Likes

WTF?! I thought Covid testing was free?

7 Likes

Free to the end user. Someone is still getting billed for it, whether it’s an insurance company or the government.

9 Likes

I’m more than happy to pay out of my Tax and National Insurance rather than face the American Medical-Insurance Combine. :+1::+1::+1: Hopefully the government over here will skew contributions a bit more toward the older generations, like me, to take some pressure off the youngsters.

11 Likes

That price is unusually high but there’s a lot of gouging going on in the U.S. for uninformed end-users, especially when they’re uninsured and have to pay out of pocket. I recently saw one private clinic charging $175 for a molecular test under those circumstances, and billboards advertising $99 tests are common in the U.S.

That this is happening while a pandemic is still rolling along shows you how messed up the priorities are in the U.S.

9 Likes

@beschizza
Gotta say I didn’t see the subtle shifty movement.

Then again I know about her not so subtle shifty movement.

4 Likes

That’s insane. But I did see a comment on Facebook recently where someone was explaining that she hadn’t gotten vaccinated yet because she had no insurance and couldn’t afford it. How she was unaware that it was free, I have no idea. But it makes sense that people would take advantage of that ignorance and charge people for things that are free. 'Murica! WOOOO!!

6 Likes

I guess that this maybe explains why people are willing to put their trust in Horse Dewormer; at least it is cheap. Ineffective, but cheap. Of course, masks are effective and cheap; but interfere with FREEDUM!!!

7 Likes

Wow do I have a treat for you

12 Likes

Good lord, is there a way to mark that comment NSFW or something?

15 Likes

You haven’t been following the news here for the past day or so, then? Boris plans to increase NI to pay for social care in a year or two after it has paid for some NHS catch-up. NI is skewed to the younger and less well paid. Newsnight last night (still on iPlayer) had some interesting graphs to illustrate this.
And the current Health and Care Bill wending its way through Parliament is purposely designed to give private companies more say in how health services are run in this country.

7 Likes

Indeed, that what made me aware of how the pressure falls on the least able to bear it. Fingers crossed, someone will point out to Boris that this could be a way to attracted younger voters to his party of greed and self-interest.

Fuckers.

5 Likes

Oh, he has been told that ad nauseam. He still reckons older, wealthier voters are worth more to him.

6 Likes

πš—πš˜πš 𝚜𝚊𝚏𝚎 πšπš˜πš› πš•πš’πšπšŽ ~ πšŒπš˜πš—πšπš’πšπš’πš˜πš—πšœ πš’πš—πš’πš–πš’πšŒπšŠπš‹πš•πšŽ 𝚝𝚘 πš•πš’πšπšŽ ~ πš—πš˜πšπš‘πš’πš—πš πšπš‘πš›πš’πšŸπšŽπšœ πš‘πšŽπš›πšŽ ~ πš•πšŽπšŠπšŸπšŽ

13 Likes

Whatever that is, it’s far worse than mouths for eyes. Run!

9 Likes