The worst thing about Theranos wasn't the hinky blood testing machines or the alleged fraud

That’s certainly one reason. There’s also the fact that, unlike “the new, untested, rushed” vaccine, it’s been proven to do something. And without “altering your biochemistry.” It somehow puts itself in a position of stronger faith.

I learned this from relatives who are liberal and not against mask use. And while they refuse and distrust vaccines, don’t you dare call then anti-vax…

5 Likes

That GIF is freakin’ me out!

3 Likes

“I’m not ANTI-VAXX! I’m Vaxx Adversed!” :rage:

6 Likes

It’s just her staring at the camera for 10 seconds from an old interview, carefully looped.
That’s all I did to it.

I figured the not-blinking staring thing was part of the act along with the Steve Jobs top and the Bene Gesserit voice. Isn’t it something?

8 Likes

If somebody makes an unblinking China doll in her likeness, dawg help us.

3 Likes

This is not a place of honor.

6 Likes

Kristin Schaal needs to portray her in a film.

3 Likes

It was my impression that like American chicken producers, American healthcare and pharmaceutical companies were SALIVATING at their prospects when Brexit passes. I’m pictureing a lone wildebeast storming away from the herd. “I am sick and tired of your stupid rules and I’m going off on my own.” All while the lions smile.

6 Likes

That pretty much sums it up and is one of the better characterisations of Brexit I’ve seen for a while. Though the latest fuckwittery (NI being increased to pay for social care and the Health and Care Bill) could and would both have happened without Brexit, if this lot had still gained power.

3 Likes

12 Likes

Can’t find the linky, but an article on Vox or Salon yesterday said we might as well admit it: our health care system is broken. The evidence?—hospitals are turning away non-covid patients because everything’s filled up with COVID.

2 Likes

Do you have a (better) source for that first image?

1 Like

The whole “if it had worked” thing is nonsense, because it couldn’t have worked. The whole “fake it until you make it” paradigm is bogus when you’re talking about a concept that is physically impossible to implement, as Theranos’ one-drop-of-blood concept was. You may as well ask yourself “what if Muggles could use magic wands?” or “what if everyone had a Star Trek-type tricorder?”

And the takeaway that it would have made the current system even worse isn’t terribly surprising. Theranos’ board was packed with the sort of former GOP administration apparatchiks that you’d expect from someone whose dad was a former VP of Enron.

5 Likes

I originally found it on a European blogging site which no longer exists :frowning:

This work of genius:

I found at Aye for Scotland’s tumblr.

7 Likes

Here’s the article. It was in Slate.

1 Like

4 Likes

LOL- wasn’t that the whole benefit of being in the EU - which they left?

4 Likes

“Unreliable.”

4 Likes

DING DING DING We have a winner, folks!

2 Likes

Search YouTube for her real voice thats quite strange

2 Likes