Theme song for Bewitched has lyrics, here's Steve Lawrence singing it

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/11/09/theme-song-for-bewitched-has-l.html

3 Likes

Thanks for posting the Dick Van Dyke video. That guy always puts a smile on my face.

6 Likes

Is this like the Star Trek theme, where the existence of lyrics is a transparent money-grab?

3 Likes

Everyone knows these are not the true lyrics to teh Bewitched theme. The true lyrics are:

Beee-witched!
Bewitched!
Bewtched bewitched bewitched!

Beee-witched!
Bewitched!
Bewtched bewitched bewitched!

Be be be, buh be-be buh be-be,
Be be be bewitched!

Be be be, buh be-be be-be-be,
Be be be bewitched!

Etc.

8 Likes

When I was a kid a friend of mine had this book and also volume 1 which included lyrics to–incredibly–Alfred Hitchcock Presents. Since the theme was Gounod’s Funeral March of a Marionette it seems odd that someone went out of their way to add words for the TV show’s version and even odder that they were never used.

4 Likes

Star Trek had lyrics written by Gene R so he could take back half the money.

“As one of the composers, Roddenberry received 50% of the royalties… cutting Alexander Courage’s share in half. Not surprisingly, Courage was furious about the deal. Though it was legal, he admitted, it was unethical because Roddenberry had contributed nothing to why the music was successful.”

4 Likes

The Addams Family DOES have lyrics and to me they’re always

Their house is a museum
Their house is a museum
Their house is a museum
The Addams Family

(And don’t get me started on Gary Indiana, Gary Indiana Gary Indiana Gary Indiana Gary–)

4 Likes

Little-known trivia: there are also lyrics to the Theme from Gilligan’s Island.

5 Likes

That’s the one that goes…

:notes: Australians all let us rejoice… :notes:

2 Likes

Related aside: this is why Q exists. He couldn’t stand the notion that Dorothy Fontana was going to get full credit, so he added the Q element to Encounter at Farpoint.

TBH, as much of a fan as i am of Fontana’s stories, I would have scrapped it until later in season 1, and kept Q.

5 Likes

I read the headline as “Baywatch” lyrics…

3 Likes

ALSO WRONG.

The actual lyrics go like this:

Two Dicks
Two Dicks
Sa-MAN-tha had two dicks

First she had Dick York, but he died
So then she had Dick Sar-gent

(big finish)
And that’s how Samantha had
Twoooooooooo Dicks!

7 Likes

I unliked it so that I could like it again

2 Likes

Totally off topic but that article was written by Eddie Deezen, which also means I read it in the author’s voice.

2 Likes

Peggy Lee (Fever) did a version - I first heard it on the “Ultralounge” albums from Rhino that came out in the 90’s.

1 Like

Roddenberry was always a scumbag. DC Fontana is Star Trek.

1 Like

Thanks! “My heart was under lock and key but somehow they got unhitched” was the only fragment of the lyrics that survived, in my head, from the Sixties.

And from a link in the sidebar on that article there is this

http://mentalfloss.com/uk/music/47667/secret-red-dwarf-theme-tune-lyrics-discovered-after-27-years

It’s at about 14 seconds in

1 Like

Isn’t it
“Gary Indiana Gary Indiana Not Louisiana
Gary Indiana Gary Indiana Not Louisiana
etc”
?

1 Like

This is written by D. C. Fontana:

I’m not a huge fan of the New Voyages fanseries beyond the neat sets, and not a fan of Chekov, but I liked this one.

As a bonus, the actress who plays the Ambassador was also in The Way to Eden.