Watch this opera singer's wonderful performance of the Star Trek Theme

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/20/watch-this-opera-singers-won.html

8 Likes

Needs moar green body paint.

4 Likes

That was nicely done. I had no idea there were actual lyrics (that were never intended to be sung)

For years I always wondered why Carroll O’Connor got a credit for the Closing Theme music on ALL IN THE FAMILY. Now I get it.
The earlier shows played the same end theme but only “Roger Kellaway” got credit for “music”.

Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 2.05.18 PM

Later shows mention the Closing Theme “Remembering You” but it is the same piano song. No lyrics but now O’Connor was in the credits for the closing theme.

Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 1.54.11 PM

3 Likes

Yup, I still get the tingles.

4 Likes

Live long, and prosper.

5 Likes

I was hoping it was going to be a little more like Bill Murray’s turn singing Star Wars.

7 Likes

I wonder how many audience members fainted when they realized that something from popular culture had invaded their refuge.

3 Likes

This is the same orchestra that does the Windows Symphony. I’m sure that the audience was quite prepared for this sort of antics.

6 Likes

So – when are we going to get around to honest recording of a Boing Boing theme?

Perhaps…

There is a little site I know,
where all the cool cats go,
bOING - bOING

The writing’s always deft
but it tilts a little left,
Boing - Boing

It’s now decades old
but it never shall be sold
bOING - bOING

Cory seems to have disappeared
But nobody thinks that’s weird
bOING - bOING

The unicorns are all gone
but Xeni carries on
bOING - bOING

Rhyming other editor names would be witty
But pronouncing them is shitty
bOING - bOING

10 Likes

I don’t think anyone at a Rainer Hirsch concert would be surprised by this sort of thing :wink:
[As @lishevita already said - sorry!]

My all-time favourite: MUST WATCH! Choir Sings Pachelbel Canon Medley - YouTube

1 Like

Wow, the music sounds way better played by a live orchestra.

1 Like

Here you go. Dance, you beautiful creature!

4 Likes

In the book Inside Star Trek they tell an amusing story about trying to get that green body paint to show up properly on film. They’d shoot some test footage with a suffering model, send it over to be developed, and when it came back, the gal was pink. They kept making the mixture greener and greener, with no change. Finally they go over and talk to the film developer, and it turns out he’s been equally frantically adjusting the color of the prints to fix that green-skin “problem”…

15 Likes
3 Likes

Nina, wonderful, wonderful Nina. The full version seems to have been taken down.

1 Like

Reminds me of a kinda-similar story from the animated series- apparently the director was colorblind, which resulted in lots of things that were supposed to be light gray ending up pink.

2 Likes

paul shaffer was never that young !! NO ONE was ever that young !!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.