There was once a "Miss Subways" beauty contest that displayed its winners on the NYC subway

Originally published at: There was once a "Miss Subways" beauty contest that displayed its winners on the NYC subway | Boing Boing

1 Like

A key plot point in the 1949 film (and 1944 Broadway musical) “On the Town”:

23 Likes

I love that movie. Now I need to go watch it!

10 Likes

" In the 1944 musical On the Town , one of the main characters falls in love with ‘Miss Turnstiles’ after seeing her picture on the subway. Lyricist Betty Comden later claimed that the musical influenced the contest’s selection process to include more diverse contestants, due to the casting of the half-Japanese Sono Osato as Miss Turnstiles in the original production."

Actress Mona Freeman was the second Miss Subways.

9 Likes

Ladies and Gentlemen: Thelma Porter, your 1948 Miss Subways!

(She’s “Porter” of 1948, in Miss Subways, but “Potter” of 1947 in the NYT article. I think the NYT got it wrong this time.)

13 Likes

Betty Garrett’s the highlight for me.

But there’s always the alternative opening :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Somewhere in the 50’s there was a beauty contest in my city, and the major daily paper published the names and addresses of the contestants. “With her knockout figure, Daisy McDump of 156 Rockstar Lane, will sure turn all the boy’s heads. Being only 17, she still lives with her parents.”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.