Theresa May wants to ban crypto: here's what that would cost, and here's why it won't work anyway

[quote=“cameronh1403, post:40, topic:102131”]
Guess it’s time to invent a new code…[/quote]
No new code is needed, the whole Enigma concept is fundamentally obsolete.

2 Likes

Back in 1999, my brother and I would tag little encrypted message blocks on the end of public Usenet messages for each other. The protocol we used is still considered strong and secure.

Your move, May

Good thoughts, but it’s even simpler.

As you alluded you simply cannot ban crypto. It’s in the wild and, if banned, the bad guys will still use it. Banning guns and bombs has never stopped bad people from acquiring or using them as we have see in recent attacks in Europe. Same concept.

The bigger question is, other than politics, why would you do take such an action. In all most all cases in the US and Europe, the bad guys were known in advance and authorities failed to intervene. The problem has not been the lack of information but, rather, the lack of will to take action.

1 Like

Or in the UK’s case, the cuts in police funding directly caused by Theresa May and her party.

2 Likes

A french company I worked for had a special crypto fax. No doubt immune from anti encryption laws.

Yngr fgntr pncvgnyvfz?

Hm. Got a link for that?

5 Likes

“Of all possible ways in which our politicians could be corrupt, which would be the MOST EVIL?”

1 Like

Thanks! I had not heard this.

2 Likes

Doing all this while cutting funding for ordinary Police at the same time…

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.