These 10 animals kill the most humans annually

On average fewer than one person in North America is killed by black bears each year. That woman who started the “which would you rather meet alone in the woods” debate wasn’t kidding: you really are in greater danger if you meet a man.

15 Likes

Give Me Five GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

7 Likes

This is a different question from how dangerous something is though. For instance dogs are high up on the list because so many people live surrounded by them, but if you actually encountered a tiger or polar bear your odds would be worse.

12 Likes

Depends on whether the sperm whale defense strategy works, because I guarantee it would be on full display!!

7 Likes

Most dangerous animal in the UK!

10 Likes

Yeah, I used to think sharks were cool, but the other night I woke up and caught Mrs FSogol watching this cinematic masterpiece:

5 Headed Shark Attack

Note that the 5 headed shark actually has 4 heads and an extra head in place of the tail. Guess what the sequel is called?

6 Likes

Leave the bears alone. They’re out menacing the libertarians… you know, doing god’s work.

8 Likes

Did whoever made that movie make a deal with Syfy to make a crossover movie titled 5-Headed Sharknado?

Throw in a little mythology: cut off one of the heads of the 5HS and two more grow in its place! Sharknadohydra?

4 Likes

coming soon to SyFy creature feature:
Five Headed Sharktopus! “five insatiable heads, eight tentacles of death…”

eta: i would watch all of these in a creepy creature shark marathon!

5 Likes

I hope you trademarked that name before hitting post. I’m sure that’s being green lit as we speak.

3 Likes

How do you post this in text without the graphic? This is surely another of the suspicious posts that are not written by AI but perhaps the editor used an AI tool. Sigh. I’ll play. But here’s the graphic.

3 Likes
  1. Mosquitoes kill 725,000 humans annually

2. Humans kill 400,000 humans annually

3. Snakes kill 138,000 humans annually

4. Dogs kill 59,000 humans annually

5. Assassin Bugs kill 10,000 humans annually

6. Scorpions kill 3,300 humans annually

7. Crocodiles kill 1,000 humans annually

8. Elephants kill 600 humans annually

9. Hippos kill 500 humans annually

10. Lions kill 200 humans annually

8 Likes

@Melizmatic thanks for that :slight_smile:

I see my post was completely incoherent. I was not asking how to strip the text out of the image. I did see the text in the article but it felt inferior to the graphic.

I meant to griping about artistic choices in TFA and also was thinking about how the text version works great for computers, but the graphic is perhaps better for us humans (though I admit the text is super hard to read). I was wondering why not to show rather than monotonously grinding out the text like a grade schooler at the blackboard.

2 Likes

There aren’t many lions but lots of mosquitoes. So the kill rate per lion compared to the kill rate per mosquito should mean that lions kill the most humans.

I’m a data visualization geek, but relaying basic written information through an image doesn’t work well on small screens and also doesn’t conform to best practices for accessibility standards.

1 Like

No, that’s still just kill rate. Absolute numbers still mean mosquitos kill the most people.

3 Likes

I’m a little disappointed. I was expecting a list of specific animals on sprees, not animal species.

8 Likes

That’s honestly the only reason I keep eating them, self defence.

6 Likes

OK…but how does the image of the lion help access?

Here is my point: That post was obvious clickbait, and felt like it was generated by a machine to be readable by machines.

Including images alongside the text doesn’t prevent people with small screens or the visually impaired or people with color blindness from reading the content easily. Presenting the written information in an image-only format with small orange-on-purple text does.

3 Likes