These new vegan products are delicious!

Fair point. They’re not providing data like they do for their environmental claims, but it’s ambiguous enough for someone to come away with that impression without their ever having to defend that claim.

1 Like

Yeah. It would be good to have a better idea of just what I’m eating, where it came from, whether it has artificial or toxic substances, etc.

2 Likes

That’s good to know – there was an Earth’s Balance margarine that was made of palm oil, which from what I gather is awesome for those who hate orangutans.

Last I checked (e.g. shredded on a pizza) they still don’t have the texture quite right. We’re not vegan, but we keep up with these things for tsom, although for us that’s most of the year now, anyway (which is just as well, I think).

I keep hearing that, but the explanation I remember is that there are two Aldi’s (at least in Germany), and the owner of one of them is related to the owner of Trader Joe’s. OTOH it seems there’s to much overlap for the 2 companies to not be more closely related than that.

Are you in Bethesda MD, perchance? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: (Now they have 2 but the older 1 had a nightmare of a parking lot to get in & out.) It wouldn’t surprise me that there are other stores with that predicament though (@VeronicaConnor beat me to it). A lot of the stores seem (sometimes very weirdly) shoehorned into whatever space was available and that goes for their parking spaces as well.

We just got one close by a couple of weeks ago; what surprises me is that we’ve only gone twice…

This was in today’s paper (link should be free):

My wife had a vegan shawarma at Falafel Inc. yesterday. It’s apparently mostly gluten (like seitan), which I’ve had before at an all-vegan Chinese restaurant (and where they pulled it off better). Flavor’s OK, texture’s not-quite-there. But one of us in our household eats a gluten-free diet and seitan (or similar) is the opposite of gluten-free. Anyway Falafel Inc. is better at falafel.

2 Likes

Hmmm, “fuzzy” health benefits indeed. But still, thanks!

I eat very little meat, and don’t miss it at all when I go for long stretches without it. For me a fake burger is more of a nice change of pace than a nice substitute for meat. If it’s not even all that much healthier than meat, let as healthy as the other yummy plant-based meals that I regularly eat, then there’s little point, really.

But then, I realize I’m not in the target market for products that come as close as possible to seeming like real meat.

4 Likes

I can see why you would think that, but they’re actually not owned by the same parent company. TJs is owned by Aldi Nord and the American version of Aldi is owned by Aldi Süd.

Those are two German grocery store companies that started as the same company but split up when the two brother owners couldn’t decide whether they should sell cigarettes. Since the sixties they have split up the German market, and then the European and World markets between them.

6 Likes

I’m coeliac and so is one of my children. I hate going to the aisle in the supermarket that has GF food as it’s getting smaller and smaller and getting colonised by vegan food. Not that I have a problem with vegan food as such, by myself I’ll make a channa masala or a vegan taco for dinner, but because the processed vegan food inevitably has gluten in it.

It’s depressing. I have been using quorn fake chicken for years though as the children didn’t notice the difference when I was making a curry and that works for me.

7 Likes

Man, I just came here to ask if this dip was made from vegan buffaloes, or for vegan buffaloes, but, er, I think I’ll just leave now…

3 Likes
1 Like

No, they don’t. The soft cheeses are pretty good (again, Miyokos), but shreds and slices are like eating glue. The aftertaste is usually an issue, too. Violife makes a good Parmesan, but the taste lingers in a weird way. Fortunately, it’s not as noticeable when melted into stuff.

1 Like

I wasn’t aware they ever did make health claims. But everyone I know who eats them feels like they are making a healthier choice by eating them. “It’s vegetables, so it must be better” is the general rationale.

I eat them because they’re good and I figure reducing meat intake has to be good for the planet, but the truth is I don’t really know what the energy inputs are for them, or what the nutrition of them is like compared to meat. I don’t delude myself that they are “made of vegetables” though.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.