Produce Stand Off - A food thread for plant-based eaters

I’ve eaten at a couple around D/FW, but not in Austin. I do eat some meat (as I’ve gone on before); the burgers there are very good but, my goodness, the chicken sandwiches are among the best I’ve had anywhere. Which is getting way off-topic. To bring this back into potentially useful (if not vegan) territory, I’m told that Hopdoddy’s gluten-free buns are the best around, i.e. they’re great whatever they happen to be made of, and not just as a GF approximation of a regular hamburger bun. We also found out that they’ll sell them, separately, for (I think) $1.50 or $2 apiece (but also that it’s good to call ahead & make sure they didn’t run out that day).

Ah! Now I just remembered that I did have a veggie burger at Hopdoddy’s, the first time I visited (this might’ve been 5 or more years ago). This was before I’d had Beyond/Impossible so I’m not sure whether it was vegan or not (or whether they still have them). I remember it being at least OK – my measure of a veggie burger is how good it tastes as-is, not how well it approximates a beef hamburger - because, before Beyond/Impossible, they really couldn’t IMO. (I sort of recall Hyde Park Grill in Austin also having a good veggie burger.)

Enjoy the chorizo!

5 Likes