These sculptures are like The Matrix code given solid form

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/10/these-sculptures-are-like-the.html

7 Likes

That last one brings Sutekh’s gift of death to all humanity

3 Likes

Those are fantastic. I particularly like the cylinder. What would you keep in a box like that?

Of all the entities that built the Matrix … at least one of them had the job of modeling poo.

2 Likes

I love this, at least the 12 milliseconds of it that I saw before the ads ate the picture. The new ad format is making this site impossible to enjoy. When I go to a new website and the ads pop up like this, I normally close the tab and mentally mark that place ‘do not visit’. I’d really hate to do that with BB.

3 Likes

The are Matrix code given solid form.

1 Like

Illicit data? Dangerous psychedelics? A replica of the Trinity Test polonium initiator sphere?

2 Likes

Not unwrapped hard candy. Those suckers get stuck together and ‘glued’ in there… sayonara resale value!!

1 Like

I have been looking for more information on this specific niche type of art for a long time

One of the most beautiful objects I have ever seen I saw when I was living in Japan last, and it was when visiting the family of one of my friends.

It was a ceremonial plaque 4 something as an award at work I think, which looked like this, in that it was mother-of-pearl inlaid into a black hole level ultra black super high grade urushi lacquer plaque. The mother of pearl was cut absolutely flush with the lacquer so that it all look like a single surface, and it was kanji characters spelling something out.

I took a bunch of pictures of it and I think they were kind of weirded out by how captivated I was at how beautiful it was in the low light of a tatami room.

This is the only time I have ever seen anything else like it and now I am going to use Japanese bilingual ability to learn as much as I can about this from his videos and maybe make something myself…

Every one of these is stunningly beautiful to me, that is all black lip mother of pearl.

2 Likes

I’d love the cube for a paperweight but no way could I afford something like that. Not disrespecting the art but paperweight is what the cube and pyramid forms brought to mind on first glance.

1_ab641962d284336d650e6e0d775ac31f

Nature is always more impressive than our own vision…and cheaper to buy, too.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.