These shoes are made from apples

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/06/these-shoes-are-made-from-appl.html

2 Likes

be12ba7bf09e59548adc565046539825

13 Likes

I would be curious to see how much chemical products are implicated in the transformation process necessary to make those shoes functional.

We would have something tangible to compare and see how much sustainable those shoes are.

Carbon footprint can be a bitch.

10 Likes

Looking at one of the diagrams on the KS page, it seems the apple waste is “mixed with an equal amount of polyurethane” before applying to the cotton.
Factor in the transport (apples from northern Italy, manufacturing in Portugal, company based in Ireland) and this is decidedly NOT a green product! Green-washed? Yes.

12 Likes

These shoes are made from apples
I’ll tell you what they’ll do
One of these days these shoes are gonna
Make cider out of you.

17 Likes

I shall name mine “Fiona”.

6 Likes

“Made from apples!”*

*and a whole lot of polyurethane rubber, glue, and plastic, delivered from the local oil refinery in big diesel trucks.

There are no magic bullets here. You can’t make shoes from fruit that would in any way perform the way we need shoes to perform. However this is also pretty okay and shoes like this are solving the wrong problem. If we lived in a world where all our transportation and power generation was carbon neutral but we still used oil to make shoes and other things here and there, climate change would still be solved.

This is green-washing silliness that reinforces the conservative propaganda that climate change will be fixed by consumer choices rather than policy and regulation.

13 Likes

I shall be truly impressed when they can extract apples from shoes.

I would walk 100 miles for roast beef and gravy.

2 Likes

I’ve heard that bananas can be used to make a good pair of slippers though.

5 Likes

The pun. It BURNS! :hot_face:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.