These soccer-ball-shaped water jugs make great firestarters

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/15/these-soccer-ball-shaped-water.html

4 Likes

Is it a bad thing that I thought this was going to be about Russian football hooligans (who seem to be connected with far-right paramilitary organisations)?

9 Likes

And I thought the full water jugs were to be used as kindling. That would impress me!

4 Likes

They’re even better at starting fires if you fill them with something besides water. Like ethanol.

4 Likes

I presume the water bottles are plastic? If they’re glass i totally want one.

7 Likes

Ethanol doesn’t have a much higher refractive index than pure water, a really strong sugar solution (in water) would be better.

11 Likes

Yes, but water vapor doesn’t burn.

2 Likes

So I’m not the only one who sees a container with Russian words on it filled with a clear liquid who immediately thought: vodka.

8 Likes

Only a matter of time before they figure that out. I expect the debut at one of the Ukrainian team’s matches.

2 Likes

Ukraine didn’t qualify and no matches are allowed to be played at Crimean stadiums.

I worry that England matches are going to be targeted. They were at Euro 2016 in France and Anglo-Russian relations are far worse now. English football hooligans were far from blameless then, but they were hopelessly overwhelmed by their Russian counterparts. Unfortunately a lot of fans, who do not want violence, were also caught in the attacks. The British government currently have a travel ban in place for known British hooligans, but that won’t do anything to stop Russian hooligans attacking.

3 Likes

Nothing like some organ jazz trio to set the mood for some water jug soccer fire.

2 Likes

Who cares about fires, those bottles are pretty cool looking. Where can I get one?

2 Likes

That video has a shitload of downvotes.

I can’t think of any reason for this beyond the people who’re paid to Make Russia Look Good At Any Cost.

It brings home how hard they’re working at this. If they’ll deploy thousands of YouTube accounts to downvote a stupid video about a water bottle, imagine what they’ll do to achieve something important, like tipping an election their way.

4 Likes
2 Likes

The exciting thing about the (nearly) spherical design is that there is no ‘safe’ way to set the jug/ball down on a sunny day.

Which reminds me … I remember going to a museum a while ago which displayed a glass sphere that was used to track daily sunlight hours. Basically, the ball was put outside along with a replaceable paper backing sheet. When the sun is strong enough (i.e., the sun isn’t behind clouds, or below the horizon) the sunlight is captured and magnified by the sphere, burning a spot on the paper. But because the sun is constantly moving across the sky, so is the burnt spot, leaving a track across the paper. Knowing how fast the sun tracks, and measuring the length of the scorch tracks, allows a fairly accurate measure of sunlight hours that day. I though it was a pretty cool application :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.