Thieves attempt to sell off stolen comic book collection... at the victim's own comic shop

Curses! Foiled again!

5 Likes

Probably a different storage unit elsewhere …

3 Likes

Using my mutant powers, I bet their story is: they did buy storage units at auction. For a time. But then they realized: "You know, people who let their shit go to auction often leave only shit to be auctioned. Why not let's 'take over' those units before they go to auction? Oh, and this alternative method is so much less expensive..."

3 Likes

Could be. The story does mention that there had been a string of storage unit burglaries, and that at the comics one was in an area with no security cameras.

3 Likes

As Abaronofsky wrote, the comics don’t have to belong to the owner of the shop. Just someone he knows, and I imagine it’s a small enough community that they will send out alarms after a heist like this.

4 Likes

10 Likes

Years ago, when I lived in Tucson, I had a very similar thing happen to me. Had my bike stolen off the front porch of the house and the thief tried to sell it to the bike shop that I worked at. Everyone there knew it was my bike so they kept him talking while they called the cops.

They called me there to identify the bike and then the dude tried to claim he found it and was returning it for a reward - even though I had not even reported it missing my that time. I did feel a little bad for him as the cops said he had only been released from jail that morning - so within 3 hours he had been released, committed another crime, and been arrested again…

4 Likes

I don’t know how much attention most stores would pay if the victim wasn’t the owner or 20-year customer, though. Even if you can send out alarms, those don’t translate into identifying the stolen goods nor proving it - in this case, the guy was worried he wouldn’t be able to identify, definitively, his own collection. The thieves helped by bringing it to him in one box he had written on, and he identified a key comic based on a specific mark. I don’t see that working in most cases - even if the collection has been flagged, if the thieves try selling only a portion of it at a given time (like this case), you’d not be able to know it was part of the flagged collection unless you were intimately familiar with it (and maybe not even then). If it were antiques, that would be one thing, but comics are pretty anonymous.

Holy Schadenfreude, Batman!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.