Thin-stemmed wine glass gets wobbled almost to breaking

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/30/thin-stemmed-wine-glass-gets-wobbled-almost-to-breaking.html

9 Likes

This is so hard to watch; it gives me shivers. Thanks for sharing, I needed this this morning.

11 Likes

It does look inviting.

2 Likes

How in hell do you wash these glasses? I’d be afraid to immerse it in soapy water or wipe it with a washcloth.

8 Likes

I was mostly fascinated by how difficult it was to get the resonance period of the wine sloshing in the bowl to match the pendulum effect of the stem.

4 Likes

You can probably adjust it by drinking some of the wine.

8 Likes

This is what I came here for.

My physics-fu is not strong enough to know the formulae, figuring in mass, shearing point, and liquid viscosity. Hopefully the required mass exceeds the volume of the glass. Now fill the glass with mercury…

2 Likes

Does anyone else feel the urge to smash the glass now and get the inevitable over with?

6 Likes

The artist’s name is Matt Eskuche, he makes these as a demonstration, they are borosilicate glass which is the kind of glass used to make pipes. They are not a commercially available glass.

7 Likes

Thanks for this info! I was looking all over for the brand and came up empty…

6 Likes

There are tons of things made of borosilicate sold to the public.

5 Likes

As I read this, I think the OP means “the glass used was not a commercially available design”, as in, the actual glass itself was bespoke, not the material?

6 Likes

I don’t even bother using glasses with stems anymore except Coupes I get from thrift stores. The stem is a good design, but not critical for home use.

1 Like

If you want your own, they look like Camille wine glasses, which I believe are sold at several major retailers. They might be some kind of Zalto glasses, which are very delicate.

Reads ‘iffy’ to me. I don’t think these are available (yet?) Also, there is no Mattes Kuche. There is a Matt Eskuche, though; a “glass artist” per his website. Wobbly glass may be an one-off for his portfolio.

Pyrex.

2 Likes

Home consumer Pyrex glassware in the US is made from soda lime glass.

2 Likes

I stand corrected; didn’t realize that had changed. Still, my pipes are borosilicate glass, and they were purchased via commerce.

2 Likes

Confusingly, Pyrex labware is still borosilicate. It’s a great example of bad use of a brand name, one where the brand name causes customer confusion, the opposite of what a trademark is supposed to do.

2 Likes

You can buy both, actually. There are Pyrex glass dishes and PYREX glass dishes. Either way, borosilicate is a common off-the-shelf glass for hobbist and commercial use.

2 Likes

Almost all my labware (that I use for cooking and brewing) is borosilicate. Some is quartz, but those are because of the optical properties.

1 Like