Things that are sneakily right-handed

I’m left eyed as well, severely. With handguns I’m fairly ambidextrous but do favor the right. Long guns I’m hopelessly a lefty due to eyesight. I’ve tried left handed actions but after a lifetime of adapting they just don’t feel right. I’ve been told it’s hilarious to watch me get off a quick follow up shot. And hot brass? Yeah, fuck semiautos at this point.

I could never write quite well enough with the left to be ambidextrous, though I do find most tasks pretty even between the two.

I’m still having difficulty with the bicycle argument and haven’t found any numbers on this well known phenomenon.

3 Likes

There are left-handed keyboards, for those right-handed typists who use number pads.

1 Like

I can’t fully say I’m ambidextrous, but I do many gross-motor skill things better left-handed - like batting, putting, shooting a bb-rifle (I’ve never fired a serious gun), and I’m adept with a mouse with my left. I even share responsibility between hands when drawing or playing pool.

Some things I do just seem interesting to me, like how the practised barbers tell me I part my hair the wrong way because I favor my left when I finger-comb my hair.

What about doorknobs? Do doors that open to the right irritate lefties? I’m comfortable with doors that open left, and just use my left hand instead of a crossover.

*edited for clarity

4 Likes

But don’t you have robot thumbs that exceed the reach of my tiny weak human thumbs?

I feel that my non-dominant left hand is strong enough and nuanced enough to handle braking as well as my dominant hand is; that’s not the issue for me. But if I’m signaling with my left hand, I do feel more confident when braking the rear wheel, since I’m better at one-handed steering with my right hand, but braking the front wheel one-handed tends to exacerbate steering wobble for me.

4 Likes

That’s pretty much the thought process behind the brake arrangement on bicycles.

3 Likes

There are a lot of things I swap between hands with regularity, and it bugs the heck out of me that my dumb coffee cup, of all things is for righties. My right hand is generally dominant, but my left leg is also dominant. This results in an odd way of throwing darts, and playing hockey with the “wrong” stick.

@jakeline: US manuals are sneakily left handed. I bought my first automatic 7 years ago, and still control the wheel with my left hand sheerly out of habit. When I switch between cars, I find my left foot reflexively goes for the non-existent clutch the next time in the automatic.

7 Likes

Try this one:

7 Likes

I was wondering which way manual transmission cars would be considered -handed.

I’ve only driven a LHD manual once, and I kept smacking my left hand into the drivers door in an attempt to change gear.

4 Likes

I like my coffee to stay unreasonably warm for unreasonably long periods of time, and this mug generally handles that job well.

My SO bought it for me, and fortunately it was not filled with terrible coffee by the time I received it. I dislike that it required me to use my right hand if I’m operating it with only one hand, and I dislike the lack of a handle.

3 Likes

I have a Contigo. It shares the lack of a handle, but it seems to be fairly ambidextrous in function, and it’s very good at retaining heat.

2 Likes

Coffee cups have handedness? You mean you can’t just turn the cup around 180 degrees?

I once heard that it is not possible to have both feet equally dominant, but I have been tested and both my feet are equally dominant.

I also heard that being ambidextrous is a learned behavior. I think it might be an unlearned behavior, because so much is geared toward right-handed people that it just makes more sense to do more things right-handed.

I golf cross-handed with righty clubs.

2 Likes

If you look at the cap in the pic I posted, it spins counter-clockwise to open. Almost completely undoable with my left hand.

My left leg is naturally dominant. I didn’t even know it until my cross country ski coach pointed it out to me in high school.

2 Likes

TIL that ice hockey sticks are handed. Field hockey ones are all right handed.

5 Likes

A lot of people have Contigo, so I know they have a nasty habit of spitting coffee in your eye if you open them too close to your head.

1 Like

Yup. They curve to the left or to the right. If you’re dominant hand is right, you’re supposed to play with a stick that curves to the right. I tried when I was learning to play, it was totally uncomfortable.

3 Likes

How? I only use a fork left-handed and only use chopsticks right-handed. The paper towel roll can have any orientation.

I’ve never had that problem. But, then, I press the button to release the steam before I raise it to eye level.

1 Like

That puts me in mind of cricket. Weirdly, most right handed people bat with the right hand lower down the handle, using the left hand to control the bat - when the ‘left handed’ stance might make more sense.

3 Likes

No way, I’m currently holding my coffee right handed so I can use the mouse with my left. Obvs.

Edit: I have realized this week that I begin chewing on the left side of my mouth. I’ve got some kind of gum infection over there and yet I can’t seem to keep my food on the right side. Every time I put a bite in my mouth it winds up on the hurty bit.

Apparently I cut my meat righty, though. Unless I stop to think about it and then I can’t figure out how to hold silverware at all.

4 Likes