Thirsty or hurt plants "cry" and some animals may be able to hear them

Originally published at: Thirsty or hurt plants "cry" and some animals may be able to hear them | Boing Boing

7 Likes
8 Likes

Some plants are easier to hear than others

11 Likes

This is a release of gas from the liquid flowing through the leaves/stems when severed. Saying that the plants “cry” is like saying a can of soda “screams” when it is opened. A sound is made. No thought, emotion or pain is generated or expressed.

6 Likes

As a practicing vegan, I just want the food on my plate. I don’t care what it had to go through to get there.

3 Likes

Came here for this.

I read that story when I was a kid. So I’m a bit surprised it took 76 years for someone to actually do the experiment. And it’s extra-awesome that they replicated the storyline exactly. I wonder if any of the researchers went mad?

6 Likes

Maynard had it right, these ARE the cries of the carrots…

2 Likes

I remember a great science fiction short story I read years ago called “Crying Willow”, by Edward Rager. I found it in an anthology by Asimov, Greenberg, and Olander called “100 Great Science FIction Short Stories”. The basic plot involved a “plant protection” agency named LEAF (League to Eliminate the Abuse of Flora), used electronic and psychological communication with plants as a major plot point, and ended with the greatest shaggy-dog wrapup I had ever read.

2 Likes

Perfectly said, thank you. The excessive anthropomorphizing that goes on in popular science reporting is not just exhausting, it’s actively undermining peoples’ understanding of reality. We really need to dial that shit back.

6 Likes

little shop of horrors GIF by Maudit

5 Likes
2 Likes

1 Like

Ah, now I see that my little dog is simply an empath.

He is pissing on all those daffodils not because he wants to, but because they are crying out for liquid.
And he hears their pain, and offers them solace…

Although, probably not.

2 Likes

6 Likes

Originally published at: Plants scream when cut | Boing Boing

14 Likes

“Talk! Tell me where the Fifth Invader Force base is!”

16 Likes

9 Likes
5 Likes

little shop of horrors pizza GIF

7 Likes