This 3D display uses a single bead controlled by acoustic levitation

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/25/this-3d-display-uses-a-single.html

3 Likes

They need a simple name for this type of display. How about “moving pictures”?

3 Likes

All its missing is a tiny little Mike Teevee dressed up in a white smock.

7 Likes

Finally, a place to send my broken beanbag chair. It’s been leaking those damn things for years.

2 Likes

What is the point of this thing?

1 Like

That’s amazing that they can actually move the bead with sufficient speed to draw out shapes of pretty good size and complexity, considering. (And then, moreover, using the same system to also switch over to producing sound or tactile feedback at the same time.) I wonder if it theoretically scales to more than one “pixel” though - I could see that the sonic nature would mean you’d get interference, which would at least complicate things.

2 Likes

It’s limitations are similar to a vector display. i.e. A certain length of drawing before the refresh rate drops too low.

If they ever get that bead going fast enough to do a raster scan, I sure wouldn’t stick my hand in it!

4 Likes

Love that near the end of the video someone is using a Potterverse magic wand to herd the bead around through acoustic interference.

If we can’t get flying cars, at least we can get this.

1 Like

Which is where I wonder if multiple beads are possible. Being able to do just a couple hugely extends out the display capabilities.

1 Like

This needs to be placed in front of a cat. As soon as possible.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.