This 3D printed titanium fuel tank part shaved 18 months off spacecraft production schedule

I’ve actually made and worn titanium armor before. It’s… different. My armor was a suit of maile made from discarded wire used in the aerospace industry that was anodized a goldish color (its titanium - go big or go home :wink: It was an absolute bear to work with. I ended up having to go back and check every single link every day for a week when making it as it had a tendency to resume its “open” state given enough time. Additionally titanium has a… smell? Odor? I don’t have much of a sense of smell but I could smell it. The guys in my group got to where they could tell if I was wearing it under my tabard by smell. It’s not bad, you just don’t expect it to smell, you know? Also the anodization process produced some really dull colors compared to other materials, and from the dust on my gear after a weekend I don’t think the color was going to last very long. On the upside, the weight savings was crazy. I’d forget I was wearing it. It wasn’t even a problem to sleep in it, though I can sleep in full steel plate armor so ymmv.

4 Likes

2 Likes

Probably milling. Start with a giant block of titanium, then cut away everything that’s not part of the dome. End with 5% of the original mass.

2 Likes

When people talk about 3D printing metal they usually mean powder sintering, but I don’t have any experience working with titanium personally. The arts and crafts equivalent would be something like Precious Metal Clay, though the shapes would be built and sintered using a much different process.

1 Like

Mmm, printed titanium… /drool

http://bastion-cycles.com/process/

All those titanium camping sporks have to come from somewhere. :sunglasses:

“Harden me to spec requiremeeeeeeeeeeentsss!!!”

2 Likes

Thanks for the info, and was it anything like the scent of bronze? I love that smell.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.