This '80s robot watch is nifty looking

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/15/this-80s-robot-watch-is-nift.html

4 Likes

OMG I HAD ONE OF THESE
forgot all about it…

9 Likes

I also had one, cool! It was just like the one pictured and makes total sense that it was a knock-off because I remember it being pretty cheap. Lost the band fast but had the robot for a while.

3 Likes

I bought a few of these back in the day from the original GOODIES on Halsted in Chicago (later became Uncle Fun). Ted (the owner) was able to get all sorts of great weird stuff from all over.

I gave a couple to a friend at work to give to his nephews.
At first they played with them a bit, then put them aside.
A year or so later, Transformers came out and then the kids were like "Mom, where’s our Robot Watches?"

3 Likes

I had one, mine was blue.

2 Likes

OOOOOOH! I HAD ONE OF THESE!

Mine was red and I loved it. And if my memory serves well I had also a black one too. After that I had my first (of many) Casio F-91W.

I still prefer cheap digital watches to gold encrusted analog ones.

2 Likes

I always wanted one of these, from the 60s:

5 Likes

I had one of them too! Not sure if it was the Japanese version or not, my aunt lived there in the 80’s and would occasionally bring some trinkets. (Including a shove people into the train handheld electronic game.)

2 Likes

Oh that’s breaking my heart - I too had a cheap knockoff of this. Mine was all black, and the robot stood next to my monitor at work.

2 Likes

I got a cheap knock off of one of these from a flea market. It was so cool and I was so proud. I wore it to school for about a week and then it broke. I’ve never fully recovered from the sadness.

2 Likes

That takes me back. I was the coolest kid in my whole bedroom when I had that thing!

1 Like

I had the cheaper all-black knock off but was totally thrilled with it. What memories!

1 Like

I also enjoyed the pure bliss that was owning this robot watch - I had a silver one and a black one. Definitely the knock-off version.

Had the cheap black knock off one too. I was obsessed with digital watches as a kid in a way that would make Ford Prefect confirm his theories. I had calculator watches, a PacMan watch, and even this nascent computer watch I bought off QVC. You plugged it into a keyboard the size of a ruler and programmed what you wanted into it. It was stupid big on my toothpick arms and I loved it more than Doc loves plutonium.

only as an adult did I find out there was a mail order option during the Transformers toy craze. it turned out if you had enough product codes you could order one. meanwhile at that point in time sooooo many stores of cheap goods had bootlegs which was how I got one.

so ya it looks like so many of us had one and being rare made them not rare at all once the ‘free market’ took over. =)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.