This beautiful new video is our last glimpse of the James Webb Telescope as it heads into deep space

Originally published at: This beautiful new video is our last glimpse of the James Webb Telescope as it heads into deep space | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Ohhh, Science so early in the day, nice.

14 Likes

13 Likes

You can also track its location, deployments, and temperatures on the wonderful Where is Webb? (webb?)site.

12 Likes

Wow, that seemed to unfurl really quickly. I’m sort of surprised that the detachment and unfurling of the backplane(?) happened without much of a delay between. I guess they must have wanted to capture at least some of it with the camera on the orbit vehicle.

3 Likes

Yeah, I was surprised at how soon, and how quickly that thing unfurled.

2 Likes

They had the solar array set to auto-deploy when it reached either a given attitude OR 33 minutes after launch. It hit the right attitude “early”. The fact that the rocket launched the telescope so precisely was a huge win because it saved fuel which means it can stay active for longer.

Yay for science!

16 Likes

Wow, so cool. After all of the issues leading up to the launch, it was remarkably successful. Sounds like we wouldn’t even have gotten to see it unfurl so clearly if things hadn’t exceeded expectations.

3 Likes

This is the kind of mind boggling thing I like to mention when people repeat the mindless attitude that “government can’'t do anything right”. The pulling together of all of the disciplines of astrophysics, materials science, high-tech manufacturing, computer science, etc which are necessary to make such a critical and expensive project pay off flawlessly is hard to comprehend.

8 Likes

So, are we going to talk about all that debris that seems to be flying around. Or are they Pedo Guy’s satellites?

5 Likes

I’m really surprised by the “last glimpse” part. At that price they couldn’t have included a selfie camera or three?

4 Likes

This beautiful new video is our last glimpse of the James Webb Telescope as it heads into deep space

I just actually read the headline. I didn’t realise that L2 was so far off.

2 Likes

When the solar array started to unfurl I kinda gasped. So lovely!

1 Like

yeah it was surprising how much stuff was floating around

2 Likes

If only there was more lens flair. Oh, wait…

1 Like

Funny how so much actual space stuff looks more like broken umbrellas wrapped in tin foil than the futuristic sleek stuff we see in sci fi.

3 Likes

In the future they have somehow figured out how to get mass to space without fuel requirements, so they can make more aesthetically pleasing designs. These days there is a need to be as light as possible.

I enjoy whenever the mars rovers take a picture of themselves, then you get to see all the kapton tape, string, and silver sticky-labels used in the construction.

6 Likes

Most expensive music video ever

1 Like

Someone really needs to set that image to the Blue Danube Waltz.
The composition, pacing, and movement of vessel and Earth completely match the orbital sequence from “2001.”

2 Likes

So beautiful. That we (multiple nations! Launched from French Guiana!) can do things like this gives me hope for our species.

Plus MTG got booted from Twitter today.

3 Likes