James Webb is Super Cool!

But also, James Webb is supercool!!

18 Likes

But, Randall told me the sunshield was to protect me from the flash :wink:

More seriously, the way they made the sunshield is very cool

16 Likes

By getting through the sunshield deployment process, therefore, NASA has surmounted the most complex aspect of unpacking the telescope in space and setting it up for operations.

Yeah but if my experience with camping tents is any indication they’ll have even more trouble when it comes time to pack it all back in the bag when it’s time to go home.

12 Likes

Well, about that…

8 Likes
1 Like

I’m not one of those people who shouts “cancel culture!” whenever ugly truths about a prominent figure come to light but “failing to take a principled stand against the homophobic norms of the day” isn’t exactly one of the worst revelations I’ve heard about a noted scientist.

5 Likes

Dr. Becky’s (Dr. Rebecca Smethurst, Oxford University astrophysicist) enthusiasm is contagious, and she is able to dumb down concepts to where even someone like me can sorta understand. Anyway, this is really exciting! And a reminder that we really can accomplish amazing things when we can stop being stupid for a time.

Happy Mood GIF by HBO Max

11 Likes

So, it’s a dry heat?

4 Likes

tired desert GIF

6 Likes

That cactus is moving!!

9 Likes

Yay!

Coasting to final position before L2 orbit insertion burn

10 Likes

oh great. now all the aliens will look like they have red eyes

yay! :tada:

8 Likes

Will Ferrell Congratulations GIF

4 Likes

1 Like

Wow. Amazing. And really necessary good news. Thank you, NASA!

8 Likes

I get that the press can’t spend every article every day cheerleading this thing. But this is an insane accomplishment. So far, everything has worked perfectly. Technologies that have never been tried in microgravity, let alone that far away, are working. When Hubble was launched we had no idea of the kind of things it would see and find. Our experience with Hubble has given us an idea that we’re going to see some incredible stuff. This is a revolutionary moment, and a crowning achievement for the CSA, ESA, and NASA.

8 Likes

JWST is now moving at about 300 m/s, slower than the speed of sound at sea-level. Compare to its initial velocity after launch of around 8,500 m/s

11 Likes

The mirror Segments have been moved into position.

ETA seems I can’t post more than twice in a row. But I saw something interesting in the data earlier…

8 Likes

Would you like to say something else about JWST?
go right ahead

6 Likes

Why thank you!

I’ve been watching the progress and percent complete.

This was the state three hours ago

And this was a few minutes ago

The percent complete has gone down, and the distance to L2 has increased.

3 Likes