This cheap tool roll stores extra tools under my motorcycle's seat

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/06/this-cheap-tool-roll-stores-ex.html

3 Likes

That looks like it would be a lot nicer than the one that came with my bike, but I’ll have to measure and see if it’ll fit. It may be too long for the storage compartment.

1 Like

Keep the greasy side down, Dudes & Dudettes.

3 Likes

Yeah, the airhead has a big bucket down there already and the S seat has extra space. I can maybe even just fit one big roll with everything but I like the original stuff in its cute little roll in the tail cowling.

1 Like

Came upon a guy who had thrown loose wrenches into a leather saddle bag which had rotten corners. While bouncing over some train tracks a wrench fell out of the bag and jammed between the frame and spokes, stopping his bike directly on the tracks. Soon there were a few of us taking turns trying to get that wrench unstuck when the horn blast of an approaching train encouraged us to just pick the damn thing up and let the guy call for a tow.

Road side repairs: 0
Road side repair tools causing a repair: 1

3 Likes

There is no room for a tool roll under my bike seat… the whole space is neatly packed with the essential tools and spares in a tight, Tetris-like cluster. Seriously, no rattling, no matter how the road is like.
And anyway, no motorcycle is truly whole without a nice topcase. Where the non-essential tools and spares go.

I will spare you a picture of my motorcycle’s under-seat storage. It is truly the least interesting part of my bike.

Great, now I get the feeling it’s probably some wardrobe portal to a mystical land, and you just don’t want to share.

1 Like

More importantly, what tools do you keep in the holder under your seat? Inquiring minds want to know.

1 Like

The space under my seat was already very small when the bike was born from the factory. I have added a bunch of electronic black box gizmos (Power Commander 3, Denali accessory box, Vecto Labs deccel module, and a GPS antenna) so now there is even less room in there. Hopefully this winter I will have time to re-wire everything, and move it all to more discreet locations, and gain some space under the seat for some essential tools and repair materials. Fingers crossed emojis.

1 Like

Sadly, the stock BMW toolkit has gotten smaller with each new model. I think the R1250GS toolkit is just a bottle opener.

3 Likes

I saw a bike yesterday. The top case was a plastic record milk case held on with bungee cords.

2 Likes

Whatever gets the job done.

@jlw Enquiring minds are enquiring: what do you put in your extra tool roll?

I’ll play too – mini-maglite with a headstrap. It’s a much better form factor for the roll vs. a headlamp. A couple of $ in 1’s and quarters. Patchkit and CO2.

1 Like

Spare shock spanners, extra size 10 wrenches, test bulb, spare CO2 can for the Helite, a socket that fits the oil sump drain, etc.

Add a couple cable ties. The more desperate you are, the more versatile they get.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.