This-City's-Makin'-A-Comeback Bingo Card

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/30/this-citys-makin-a-comebac.html

4 Likes

Needs more, “Home to a world-class…”

9 Likes

Just move to Somerville and this too can all be yours!

5 Likes

Hmm, we could use a good axe throwing bar in the 02130…

2 Likes

Pretty sure JP was gentrified to contemporary standards 40 years ago. Just needs an update.

2 Likes

There’s one square conspicuously missing: restaurants and shops with ampersands in the name.

10 Likes

It’s a bit hard to see due to the background, but there’s a square for “Restaurant named [Something] & the [Something]” in the upper left quadrant. That covers it well enough.

8 Likes

woof. I spent way too much time formulating responses in my head to the “top member” capitalist apologist of that group showing up in every thread to say “but why shouldn’t executives keep their hard-earned pay? labor is less valuable because capital is more valuable because it has more value because markets say it does! it’s just natural you guys!!!”

11 Likes

So there is. I completely missed it the first time.

6 Likes

Gentrification in both Somerville and JP accelerated considerably after the end of rent control in Brookline and Cambridge in the early 90s. But Somerville was already changing with the Red Line extension.

But I don’t think we have a regional Banksy yet.

2 Likes

God, you made a card that describes Minneapolis. All you’re missing is pedal pubs.

7 Likes

I think its worth saying in all seriousness, that hipster culture is annoying in a “conspicuous anti-elite consumerism” kinda way, and endlessly mockable. BUT it seems to get lost sometimes that it is displacement that makes gentrification evil, not addition.

15 Likes

this hits hard. i love my city and the way it’s going right now (generally), but i’m wondering what we win if we get a a fully-covered board, because we’re almost there.

8 Likes

The funny thing is that some of the gentrifiers are starting to do the whole fake “run down” look. So even crushing poverty is commodified. >_>

7 Likes

Just moved out of Arlington after 9 years of renting. Too much Somerville and Cambridge seeping in and jacking the prices of everything up.

Oh, and screw those Lime Bikes. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to move them off of the sidewalk because someone just left it there. I love how if you start to move them they emit a loud “WARNING: Don’t move this bicycle or the police will be notified!”.

It makes me realize why people throw them into the Charles for larks.

10 Likes

Rob Ford? Or is he still dead?

10 Likes

Does it not bother anyone else that the card is 6x6 and not 5x5?

14 Likes

Hey, when I moved to Jamaica Plain, place was overrun with feral ghouls whose only goal in life was to eat my face. Did I kill them all? Did I head up a neighborhood association that turned away irradiated cultists? Did I deny building permits to supermutants and bloodthristy raiders? Yeah, ok, that was me.

But now we have a community garden, public art, actual electricity and a thriving little market, protected by a beautiful wall of tires and junk metal. And a few laser turrets.

9 Likes

The big money and corporations come in, even the hipsters and trustafarians get too “edgy” for them, and you get Times Square as we now know it (this was a big theme in the recently concluded “The Deuce”) or what are effectively gated communities for wealthy white people and money launderers.

6 Likes

Not for nothing, but “Overheard ‘I saw this interesting article on BoingBoing’” could have been its own square. We have seen the hipster/yuppie golem, and it is us.

12 Likes