This-City's-Makin'-A-Comeback Bingo Card

Yes! This is really a “bingoo” card.

6 Likes

You are right that the important tragedy of gentrification is the destruction of the social fabric of existing poor communities.

But the banality of what displaces is the insult added to injury. One’s community and all the complex, meaningful, and actually valuable connections it contains must be dissolved so that there can be a dog bakery and another yoga studio, because people who are good at Illustrator or Python want to live here, and they love those things.

This is what the market has determined to be the best thing. Though so many must sacrifice so much, this is the incalculable bounty that capitalism promises: artisanal cupcakes.

10 Likes

Ann Arbor nearly clears this board. 10 brewpubs is way light, though. Does a Bansky in Detroit count as “regional”?

9 Likes

It sounds pretty much like DC as well. I had no idea that axe-throwing pubs were so popular as to be a cliche, though. We have (at least) one of those – never been, but the mixture of alcohol and axes seems a bit dangerous. I mean darts are already questionably safe.

6 Likes

Portland, 100% of the squares. Some, in multiples. Also, I think the only nonstops out of the airport are to giant hubs like Dallas, Atlanta, O’Hare, Newark, etc.

3 Likes

I really wish I knew how in all the discussions about how bad gentrification was, we got it so messed up that the act of making the neighborhood nicer and more livable was the problem, and not that we have a huge group of people who are so structurally de-invested in their communities that they rely on them being so crappy no one else wants to live there to be able to afford to be there… and that the structural de-investment (or bars from investment) was racially and ethnicity driven.

Just my two cents, but it seems like that’s the problem we should be trying to fix, so they can live in nice neighborhoods too, and be active in creating their neighborhoods into places that they want to live in instead of places where they can live…

(An idea? Cities should use eminent domain to buy neighborhoods of houses from slum lords. Then sell them to the residents at very cut rates with generous financing terms and find ways to help the residents refurbish and improve their homes, and getting grants to local non-profits to help teach the renters how to be home owners. Just a thought…)

12 Likes

There’s the Cash For Your Warhol guy, but I think he technically lives in Cambridge.

2 Likes

Yeah I always understood that to be a piece of art, deliberately placed there to force people to reflect on the inclusiveness of public spaces.

I’ve definitely sat in it when I was fucked up though.

5 Likes

I was ticking off those items, briefly hopeful that my city was making a comeback, but then I realized it was mostly just the shitty points that were true, such as rents being completely unaffordable. That’s just because it’s in California. It seems the crazy donut and cupcake shops downtown didn’t survive, and the last band that “made it” was big in the '90s (and only in the '90s).

5 Likes

Yeah, the boards’s got AA pegged pretty well. Downtown Detroit also fills it pretty good.

Up here in Flint e-scooters started showing up this week; scratching my head over that one. We have had a crepe shop for a couple years and I think we’re up to two breweries now. So, I think 2 points for Flint?

3 Likes

Haven’t been anywhere other than New Center for a while. That part of Detroit is gentrifying like crazy. Soon, there will be a Plum Market on Amsterdam. And the Packard Plant has windows, of all things!

3 Likes

I miss my town’s “regional Banksy”. But the boring normal people arrested Girafa for the crime of putting free art all over the South Bay without it being approved by the city or property owners. Laws are BORING!

1 Like

2 Likes

They kind of did talk about the displacement, but in a subtle way that would only be noticed with serious local context. The background image is from a set of developments that are basically the white hot center of Cleveland’s arguments about gentrification and displacement.

1 Like

Do we need to start a thread?

5 Likes

Cleveland doesn’t have a Banksy, and the axe-throwing is at a special axe-throwing place, and wonderfully, our community gardens are used & productive. Otherwise, yeah.

1 Like

Pedal pub? I know I could look it up, but my mind conjured up a bar with spinning cycles instead of barstools, and you had to pedal to pour the beer.

ETA: looked it up. Are these seasonal? (picturing hardy men braving any weather to drink on the streets.)

6 Likes

I saw that and thought similar. Unexploited business-niche: the brewpub/gym where you can work off all those calories while consuming them.

You’d need really good air exhaust and filtration, though.

6 Likes

Mostly they’re in the warmer months up here but I haven’t seen any recently. I think after a couple accidents with them they might be scarce now.

3 Likes

The world’s biggest and most well known college town is immune to being discovered by hipsters

Boston will never be cool, ever, and though it will be overrun by annoying young adults from far away every September, it will be overrun by annoying young adults from far away every September in exactly the same way it has been overrun by annoying young adults from far away every other September for the last four hundred years

6 Likes