This cure for virtual reality sickness may mitigate balance disorders

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/09/15/this-cure-for-virtual-reality.html

3 Likes

Is there an accessible version for those of us who can’t watch video?

I often get migraines from flashing and zooming. I also often get blinded and disoriented and sometimes lose my balance after getting hammered by flashing lights. Since I sometimes end up stumbling into the street after getting hit by turn signals, I think this would be relevant to my interests, specifically survival.

5 Likes

Holy shit I worked on this project. No joke.

That was years ago, and I’ve moved on, and now I’m watching videos about it on my computer :confused:

5 Likes

I wonder whether this is a particular problem for people from different areas of the world? The reason I ask is that having worked on a ship with about 40 different nationalities, it was an accepted thing that Koreans seemed to have the worst problems with seasickness. Japanese people also tended to have more problems than most. I had a few friends who would get seasick while the ship was in port, and you wouldn’t see most Korean crew members much during voyages. One theory was that people with motion sickness were often particularly good at balance normally and reacted more strongly to competing signals reaching their brains.

1 Like

The Mayo Clinic is fine, but just keep it away from my hot dogs!

4 Likes

It seems to me that this is exactly the sort of breakthrough that VR needed before it tried to stage it’s resurgence. VR has many of the same fatal problems it had when it failed in the '90s, and the attempted comeback is stalling out because the most obvious application of VR for games doesn’t work very well if you can’t move. There are a bunch of VR games that involve teleporting to get around that, but it’s silly and hugely limiting.

2 Likes

To be specific, I suspect I’m suffering from visual dependence and/or the Bucha effect, because salicylates have screwed up my balance along with my hearing. My worst problems, which I initially took for seizures, came when trying to turn away from one set of strobe/safety weapons, only to be hit by another set at close range. One caused me to end up in the street, and the other to start falling. I now avoid crossing streets at busy intersections, and jaywalk if necessary, to avoid getting killed. I’m not sure how to improve my balance, and just practicing my balance with my eyes closed would leave me with days of foot and leg pain.

2 Likes

I recall reading, about a year ago, that some research which found that adding a ‘nose’ to the display - that is, cutting in the lower-right corner in the left eye and the lower-left corner in the right eye - eliminated a lot of nausea.

1 Like

Looks fascinating, but I have one very important question: is the algorithm patented?

I get nervousness and sweaty palms from viewing heights in video games. Just what I need, something to make it worse.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.