This curious object fell from the sky in northern India

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/22/this-curious-fell-from-the-sky.html

What’s “cobbit”?

7 Likes

Must be from the Shire

20 Likes
23 Likes

https://geology.com/meteorites/meteorite-identification.shtml

2 Likes

What’s “Platinium”?

3 Likes

“cobbit” must be cobalt, which is present in about the right proportion here for iron meteorites. Same with the iron and nickel percentages. Iron meteorites originate in the cores of planetisimals.

10 Likes

THEY’RE HERE!!!
(yes it is a fucking complete sentence!)

5 Likes

That’s really beautiful and what an amazing find. There’s a vigorous market in collectible meteorites and whoever has title to this one may have had a very lucky day.

3 Likes

This is a nickel iron meteorite, which are extremely rare, and I’ve never seen one found in perfect shape like this in such a large size.

These can be worth millions easily, and I have a feeling whomever eventually gets claim to this is probably set for life.

Coincidentally, last Friday I found some nickel iron meteorite in my basement randomly, while looking for a drill chuck key I apparently lost.20200619_170538

15 Likes

David Bowie came back? No? Drats.

5 Likes

I’m really interested in the geranium content. If proven, it would be the first sign of intelligent life in the universe (because they are sending us flowers as a gesture).

30 Likes

I just (unironically) love the Indian government official writing style. It’s a very special kind of bloviating obscurantism.

6 Likes

Keep an eye on the alpacas…

color-out-of-space-alpacas

9 Likes

Best keep an eye out for the owls while you’re at it…81-ogOWLSSSS

14 Likes

13 Likes

It’s .002 geranium? Were there any whales falling from the sky around that time too? “Not again!”

29 Likes

Hey, I forgot to say earlier, thanks for all the fish!

7 Likes

Geraniums? I thought it was a bowl of petunias! “Not again…”

16 Likes

Not a projectile from China ?

2 Likes