This curious object fell from the sky in northern India

Real meteorites that size aren’t hot when they impact. They’ve slowed down to terminal velocity high in the stratosphere and have spent some time falling through that icy environment. Inside they still carry the cold of space.

That looks nothing like real meteorites I’ve seen. Where’s the fusion crust? Someone’s trying to make some money.

2 Likes

fun fact. the top of the washington monument is aluminum.

at the beginning of construction, aluminum was so rare that the momument’s capstone was the most expensive piece of aluminum in the world. it was intended to signify america’s wealth

around the time of it’s completion, people discovered you could use electricity to cheapy extract aluminum - the price dropped $1200 per kilogram in 1852 to around $40 per kilogram in 1859.

a symbol of something else uniquely american i guess

8 Likes

Pink! It should not have taken you this long to come to that conclusion! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I was wondering this, so thank you for assuming some of us were a bit curious. The watch I have with a meteorite dial is certainly one of my most coveted trophy objects. I’ve always loved the look of meteorites.

2 Likes

Wow. If there’s one place where I’d not have expected aluminum then there. Unfortunately no useful fact for small talk, I guess. Not here in Europe at least.

2 Likes

I found it quite interesting:

2 Likes

Ah, heres’ why that speech from Tulsa the other day sounded just like Vogon poetry.

3 Likes

Meteorite dial sugguests something $$$. Just out of curiosity, what is it?

I would like to machine a movement (the actual watch plates) out of meteorite. Already done it in brass, but thats not much of a challenge as far as material goes.

Custom dials are really something I should get into. I’d have to avoid doing it for certain brands that refuse to service custom modifications on their pieces (Rolex is the big one on that), but there is a niche world of people doing things like this under the auspices of company blessings…they are usually working for the company as a high end subcontractor watchmaker though.

I know someone who has done such things…

Meteorite dial would need a diamond wafer saw and a lapping machine to make. I have a lapping machine, the wafer could perhaps be cut by wire EDM…but it might explode. Diamond wet wafer saw is what would normally be used, and probably fitted dial feet rather than standard laser welded or soldered.

3 Likes

Thank you, sir, for the Dead Like Me gif, I so miss that programme.

1 Like

satellite refuse? could it be average distilled electronics that survive reentry.

2 Likes

Chinese plane part?

Now who’s laughing at my astrobotany degree, Dad?

7 Likes

Oh, is that where I dropped it! Thanks.

So funny. Thanks

2 Likes

platinum 0.5 per cent,

Not too shabby, that’s a few hundred dollars worth.

1 Like

It’s an alien turd. Somebody in a flying saucer flushed at the wrong time.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.