This dark and amazing animation about the end of humankind aired on Ed Sullivan in 1956

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/01/this-dark-and-amazing-animatio.html

3 Likes
4 Likes

Eh, it was ok. It’s no When the Wind Blows. I bought the graphic novel way back in the day and it as impactful. They made an animated film of it

9 Likes

“Cahm vith mee if yooo whant too liff.”

1 Like

Powerful.

Reminded me of:

3 Likes

Something similar from both sides of the curtain: a Soviet animation of the Ray Bradbury short story There will come soft rains.

3 Likes

Was that Bowie? :smiley: :smiley:

With madmen in charge, such as what we have now: this possibility is on the table.

1 Like

The same episode of Sullivan had Kate Smith singing, I kid you not, “Who cares?”

The threat of global nuclear annihilation was very real and immediate to us in the 50s and 60s in a way that it wasn’t post-SALT, and so 1980s films (like the ones mentioned above) didn’t have the same emotional effect. (Of course, the original Bradbury story was from 1950, the same year that future VP nominee Lloyd Bentsen called for US nuking of North Korea.)

2 Likes

yep.

1 Like

cmon, give it some credit, its from 1956 and made by just 2 people without any real budget. they basically made the film in their own kitchen. thats really not a fair comparison…

7 Likes

Not exactly a circus act involving somebody balancing spinning dinner plates simultaneously.

2 Likes
4 Likes

And, ironically, a nuclear war in the '50s, probably also early '60s, would not have been the end of the world. In the '80s, with both US and Russia having vastly bigger and more accurate arsenals, it would have been.

2 Likes

If it makes you feel any better, here is the Atomic Football the Joint Chiefs of Staff gave Trump

4 Likes

We almost had WWIII due to Soviet computer glitches/misinterpretations and ramped up tensions combined with NATO war games.

1 Like
3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.