This DIY facemask wins points for aesthetics

Yes!

How close to the fold do you stitch in that step?

The short answer is “it doesn’t matter”, and the long answer is that if you leave an inch or so, you can tuck the straps in between the layers before sewing over them (which is what I’ve been doing).

At the end, you’re breathing through four layers of fabric, right?

Yes, and with some materials, the air would indeed go around the sides (see my other post). I went through about half a dozen versions and concluded that a good choice for the inner layers is a cotton bedsheet or similar. It appears to have relatively good performance, you can breathe through it, and, you know, I feel like people can get sidetracked sourcing the ultimate filter material off Amazon rather than just making something now.

You could also just use half of the inner material, so you end up with three layers, as in the ragmask pattern.

Finally, how did you size the pattern before cutting and stitching?

Between the nose piece and the strap, it’s pretty adjustable, so I’m assuming it’s a one-size-fits-all deal (also like the ragmask pattern). For small children I guess you would want to print out the template at maybe 75% size.

I left ten of them in the lobby of my building this morning, so I’m hoping I will get some feedback on how it fits non-bobtata. It’ll also be interesting to see how people feel about the style. I made some black ones because I assumed that’s what straight men would want, but actually the first ones to go were the prints and and the folksier ginghams. What genuinely shocked me is that people didn’t snap up these ones:

I mean, that’s obvious gold. I found the print in a Michael’s last summer and I nearly shat myself.

Obviously, not using any words in the pattern is a bit of an affectation, but the hope is to encourage people to think it through on their own, and try multiple iterations, and make their own tweaks.

I am planning to find some non-verbal way to include the above suggestions about materials, and I should also indicate that it’s meant to be printed at 1:1 scale. I’m still thinking about the strap detail too.

2 Likes