This drywall-installing robot will finish building your new home, meatbag

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/10/01/this-drywall-installing-robot.html

4 Likes

As a metal fabricator, the days are numbered. The future is here… Again.

10 Likes

I welcome our robot over lords, again, this week.

16 Likes

They cut out all the parts of it falling over and driving screws into electrical wiring (which somehow grant it sentience)

23 Likes

Looks just as sloppy as most human drywall hangers. Welcome to the future.

25 Likes

A jolt of electricity is exactly what happened in that documantary, short circuit.

Also, this video is as annoying to people who do this for a living as the sloth scenes were in Zootopia.

6 Likes

Construction requires agility and intelligence. You can’t just buy a catcalling robot, it has to actually know the red wires from the black ones.

6 Likes

Gives me more time to drink bourbon

5 Likes

I don’t see why this robot needs to be humanoid. Make it tracked. Roughly the size of a sheet of gyprock. Drills in the right places. Way less terrifying.

12 Likes

Is this where I confess that I hate the “dancing” robots of Cafe X?

7 Likes

Eh - I’d like to see it pay off L&I.

7 Likes

It’s not the nailing that counts it’s the mud.

10 Likes

As a human who recently hung backer board for my shower, that damn robot complained a lot less than I did…

9 Likes

Came here for this, wasn’t disappointed. If the robot looks like a human more than it looks like, say, a forklift, then the task clearly hasn’t been thought through with machine assembly in mind. I suppose it makes sense if you’re trying to attract investors…

7 Likes

Well, they’re working on expanding the capabilities of their platform, which is a humanoid robot platform.

To me, it still looks pretty far away from commercial viability. But, when they get there, it will be a benefit for the thing to be able to walk up stairs to a worksite.

Well a drywall hanging robot seems like a cool and efficient idea, but just like the humans it replaces it’s eventually going to discover that for about three bucks it can buy three tallboys of PBR and if it dumps them in a 64 oz trucker mug it can drink in secret all day.

4 Likes

It looks reassuring to me.

6 Likes

What’s that called when one applies ones own motives to others?

Thing is, the drywall does not go up through the stairs, its hauled up from the outside. No reason the robot can’t take the same ride as the drywall.

3 Likes

Yeah, military budgets can accelerate that “pretty far away” theory of yours.

2 Likes