See the even more terrifying all-electric Boston Dynamics android (video)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/17/see-the-even-more-terrifying-all-electric-boston-dynamics-android-video.html

8 Likes

It looked straight into our souls and found us wanting.

15 Likes

I am ordering a pocket sized EMP emitter right now.

29 Likes

I don’t get the drive to make humanoid robots. We’re not very well designed.

10 Likes

Perhaps it’s unintentional but man… those guys are good at creepy.
(more bookmarks for the military contractors who thought Iron Man II was a sales production ad)

8 Likes

It’s because the world we’ve built is designed for humans… these robots can reuse our existing infrastructure. Like our human swimming pools, our human racquetball courts, our human prayer halls.

23 Likes

think we all should…

8 Likes

Damn thing plodded away like it was raring for a fight.

One really good swipe with a sledgehammer to the faceplate and a couple to one knee joint should do the trick. If not, play whack-a-mole on it.

7 Likes
5 Likes

As always their engineering is very impressive but I still haven’t seen any examples of a real-world work scenario where a humanoid robot would be the best engineering solution, even in an environment largely built for humans.

Want your floors cleaned or your dishes washed? You’d do far better to buy a Roomba or a dishwashing machine than teaching a humanoid bot to push around a vacuum cleaner or scrub plates by hand in a sink. Want a robot chauffer? A self-driving car would do the job better and wouldn’t require giving up one of the vehicle’s seats. Want to move boxes around a warehouse? Amazon has had automated systems doing that for years. Want a terrifying killing machine for modern warfare? We’ve got drones and remotely-operated sniper bots for that.

Honda unveiled Asimo a quarter century ago, and in all that time and all the subsequent improvements in technology no one has come up with a single useful application for humanoid robots outside of the entertainment industry.

11 Likes

Humanoid robots will be firing bullets and tear gas long before they scrub our toilets.

10 Likes

giphy-3879814843

7 Likes

I don’t think they’ll be doing that either, honestly. Not because the robot designers would have any compunction about building killer androids, but because you could build non-humanoid killing machines that provided much more (real and figurative) bang for your buck.

5 Likes

Humanity seems optimized for making a fool of itself. We do not need a robot to perform our singular talent for us.

5 Likes

Untitled
more like the ED-2000

2 Likes

The way that its torso and head could spin around as it walked seemed familiar somehow…

ksgRJ

11 Likes

Damn thing still can’t clean my apartment.

9 Likes

Hey now, it’s humanoid, highly flexible, and “doesn’t leak” - you better bet that the incels are chomping at the bit to turn it into a sex bot.

4 Likes

Still not quite there.

5 Likes

6 Likes