This graph of the world's 25 richest families who are collectively worth $1.4 trillion

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/09/this-graph-of-the-worlds-25.html

5 Likes

That is a terrible graph.

13 Likes

Agreed. on all levels this is terrible. Both visually and socially.

15 Likes

12 Likes

If I roll a six do I have to go back to Millionaire?

10 Likes

Agreed. I’m tempted to say it is not even a graph. More of a mere chart, really.

3 Likes

So this is what happens when a graph has too much to drink, takes a bong hit or two, then decides it’s a good idea to make stuff up with circles and lines and sheet.

Not sure where the data’s coming from, but there are a few families missing on that line, and most of them that are don’t actually disclose what they own so I don’t know how you’d plot it.

7 Likes

Scribbled in crayons by a 6 year old.

4 Likes

According to Wikipedia, the net worth of the Carlos Slim family is estimated at $68.9 billion.

3 Likes

I imagine that guillotine is making a noise like this.

1 Like

The Saudi one is grossly inaccurate. They actually own the whole freaking country-- its Saudi Arabia, like if the US was the United States of Walmart or Koch or something. Basically Trump’s wet dream.

2 Likes

The ‘richest families’ chart is missing a roving ‘Trump’ declaration for people to swat at, waggling around the clean 0 leader at the base of the graph, making International Family Law look like a thing the kid could do. Oops, we taxed that lunch, the way you took it…

2 Likes

You know you’ve failed as a graph when they need to include a regular old table with the same information right under it.

The data excludes first-generation wealth and wealth controlled by a single heir

Why? Is this old money scoffing at new money?

Also, this is more of an infographic than a proper graph.

1 Like

I think this graph/chart was drawn by the same guy/gal that does xkcd

If you’ve come to disparage Randall Monroe, then you’ve come to the wrong place

9 Likes

Infogarble is more like it.

What is the sound of one Tufte screaming?

“…pardner.”

5 Likes

Ooo how I hate them with the fire of a thousand suns.
Tax inheritance!

2 Likes

If Randall were tasked with making a graph like that he would probably make up a whole new way to represent information (e.g. the sheer size of these people’s money piles) in an easily understandable manner. And it would probably be interactive. And have lots of clever jokes.

7 Likes

The Rothschilds, for one- I believe they’re worth more than the Waltons, somewhere in the $350-$400billion range.