This guitar was made from actual McDonald's french fries

Originally published at: This guitar was made from actual McDonald's french fries | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Guitars made from McDonald’s french fries used to sound better when they used beef tallow.

22 Likes

I’ve heard that before. Must be the reverb.

5 Likes

Wait What Instinct GIF by CBS

1 Like

“Tasty licks, bro!”

4 Likes

Need that to achieve nice fat bass.

5 Likes

That guitar? Is potato.

6 Likes

That comment was nostalgia with dripping. (Or vice versa.)

Also, Russian guy makes guitar from McD’s fries? He may have to change the logo, STAT.

1 Like

The Way that can be named is not the Way :fries:

Because obviously making a guitar from stuffed cabbage would be ridiculous.

2 Likes

Lucky for him the McDonald’s surrogate will stay faithful to the original.

1 Like

I understand being a fan of french fries, but I do not understand being a fan of McDonald’s french fries. Just eat salt straight. probably better for you.

2 Likes

Upon playing the video, disappointed that he wasn’t playing Frampton

That’s actually pretty damn impressive, especially making the neck themselves. Which I notice was modeled after a 70’s Les Paul neck with the “volute”.

But not if the soft-serve machine is broken…

1 Like

There’s a lot of videos like this: Guitar made out of ______(insert crazy/weird/unusual material here). A more accurate description would be: Guitar made out of acrylic with various stuff embedded in the acrylic. If you enjoyed this video, check out Burls Art. He has a ton of cool ones.

1 Like

As a much younger self, I built a classical guitar with a friend (I can’t play any instrument, he was the guitarist, I was in for the “fun”).

It came in a “kit”, meaning a set of solid straight wooden slab of various woods and thickness, a length of fret wire, 6 pegs, a bridge and the thing close to it where the strings rest.
And, luckily, a blueprint.

The neck was the easy part, TBH, only a bit tedious: just give it the right shape with judicious application of files/sandpaper, glue the fret board and hammer in the frets in the cuts you previously prepared.
Some care was required to put them at the right distance, lest you want an untunable instrument.

The real nightmare was forming the sides with water vapor and self built shaped vices, we managed to break one of the flanks at the first try.

Carving the soundtable to sit in the rosette (ok that was ready made) was also tough, considering all of this was done completely with manual tools (we did not even have an electric drill).

It took many weeks and nights of work, and the result was surprisingly good: as a classical guitar it did not have a very loud voice, but the tonality was quite pleasant.

That’s cool.
With an electric, generally the body is pretty much just cut from a slab then routed for the necessary electronics.
I can see that making an acoustic body would be quite difficult, more so than the neck in that regard.
I have a friend that makes guitars, but when he started out, he bought pre-made necks, usually Fender ones as he hadn’t yet started doing set necks.
I have a Tele-style guitar that was one of his early finished projects. The body is solid ash. The neck is a Fender and made out of maple.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.