This guy knocks on McMansion doors and asks owners "What do you do for a living?"

Originally published at: This guy knocks on McMansion doors and asks owners "What do you do for a living?" | Boing Boing

6 Likes

You don’t buy a house like that unless your singular goal in life is to be on teevee.

8 Likes

Has he met any squatters yet?

23 Likes

Guessing said vlogger is a fly white guy.

13 Likes

Um… trade in human organs(!!!)

14 Likes

Definitely interesting to see that these homeowners were chill enough to answer the door, wonder how many homes he has to knock at to get good/friendly answers.

13 Likes

Probably a very pleasant and happy looking one, at that.

6 Likes

"…and ice creams.

Just kidding, no ice creams."

That guy was good. I was astonished at the number of people that opened the door and answered the question, but then I thought about the cars set up in the driveway to look good and wondered how many of them were set ups (ie, they were told ahead of time to expect it).

I love the weed and champagne guy. I WAS straight before I saw him in this video. Don’t tell my wife.

11 Likes

I’m in the waste management business.

13 Likes

If he owns his own booze and weed companies then he likely is hip to social media networking and schmoozing, honestly it was effective because he came off immediately as really likeable.

9 Likes

Could one safely pull this sort of project off in the US if you weren’t MTV?

4 Likes

When I drove my parents around the wealthy parts of Austin my dad was totally this guy, constantly asking (while looking at gigantic mansions), “where do they get all their money?” My only guess was oil or tech.

6 Likes

Pretty sure this is the same guy on TikTok who asks people driving exotic sports cars what they do for a living. He’s gained a bit of a cult following with many of the owners already knowing about him.

Given the nature of these videos (he uses almost exactly the same approach) I suspect many of these are setups and pre-arranged encounters.

(I especially like the one with the ‘No Trespassing’ sign on the fence - so the guy goes ahead and trespasses).

I grew up in an extremely wealthy section of a big city. The answer to “where do they get all their money” is typically “they inherited it”. Boring answer but mostly true.

15 Likes

Another reason to be glad I don’t own a money hole McMansion.

8 Likes

Not recommended in lose gun law states, for obvious reasons…

5 Likes

If I made enough to afford all that, I wouldn’t spend it on all that.

It’s not everyone, but the kids that I grew up with whose parents were that wealthy seemed to be shallower and more materialistic than kids who had to work summer jobs for extra cash. They got expensive equipment for birthdays and then trashed it because they took it for granted.

That said, there is a little survivorship bias here where we only see the materialistic people because they intentionally show it off. You’re not noticing the people who make the same amounts of money but still live in the regular house with 2005 Honda Accord in the driveway because they’re not demonstrating their wealth so ostentatiously.

12 Likes

I steal bricks.

And then I organise them.

I have an awful lot of bricks.

9 Likes

Drug dealers. They figured out Austin was the place to live long before Musk.

5 Likes

Canadians are so nice

3 Likes

“resource and staff augmentation.”

Staff Augmentation?

8 Likes