This hi-tech turntable brings your vinyl into the modern age

In the digital domain, sure, but you’d need ADC and DAC stages. And a DSP chip could do it for cheaper than an FPGA. But it’s not too hard to make an RIAA filter with a couple op-amps and some passive components.

1 Like

For sure my car with standard transmission has more power than the automatic version.

Like most people who still use turntables, I also have CD and high-bitrate digital file-based players on my system. I use whatever sounds best to me for any given piece of music, or whatever is convenient. A lifetime of use of the range of technology lets me make decisions informed by experience rather than dogma.

1 Like

OK, so I concede that, given the vagaries of the recording industry, songs mastered for vinyl might sound better. My main objection is to the format itself, but I subscribe to John Hodgman’s view that nostalgia is the most toxic human impulse. Old technology becomes obsolete for a reason. All else being equal, vinyl is just not worth the effort IMO.

7 Likes

That’s awesome! Wonder why they didn’t design the shell to open like they do in nature?

3 Likes

It was the 70’s, man. The ladybug was far out enough.

6 Likes

vinyl makes you stop what you’re doing and pay attention to the record instead

they take up space, they cost money

you have to go look for them in record stores

some people want that, they want music to be a big deal again

2 Likes

if you’re looking for an inexpensive entry-level turntable i love my u-turn and there are a couple similar cost/quality units by other manufacturers like the Debut Carbon. add preamps and bells and whistle makes the price go up, but starting at $179 for a quality 'Merican made device is hard to beat. https://uturnaudio.com/products/orbit-basic-turntable

The whole point of vinyl is to listen to analog sound. If you put a Bluetooth channel in the path, the sound gets digitized and is guaranteed not to be “warmer” than sound from a CD.

I listened to vinyl back when that was the only option. I lived with the pops, the scratches, the groove skips, the slow deterioration of quality after multiple plays even while taking meticulous care of the discs. I love today’s digital music.

1 Like

Agreed but that is (in my case) somewhat of a luxury: i.e a space and time where I can do this without interruption (not counting getting up to flip the record over, which is part of the fun). I got an Audio Technica AT-LP120-USB not long ago, but haven’t done much more than test it out (with Motorhead’s Overkill FWIW). Generally if/when I have that luxury, I try and use it to practice piano or sax — though Murphy’s Law says a few notes will bring along somebody needing me to do something.

1 Like

I had that one, too!

1 Like

All the griping about “lossy” formats always ignores how inherently lossy vinyl is.

For the fun of it, does everyone remember just how dang excited musicians and sound engineers got over DAT? There were reasons.

1 Like

don’t worry, all the noise and distortion from the turntable playback process will be preserved

If the base isn’t robust enough and it’s tipping over, try making it wider or just add some weight?

DAT was exciting because it wasn’t cassette tape.

Many Beatles reissues are in “fake stereo” where rather then being a proper stereo mix, some tracks go into L, some go into R rather than being properly mixed and balanced. Many Beach Boys stereo reissues are the same way (so it could be a Capitol records thing). My guess is you are only outputting audio from one channel so you are literally losing half of the audio in some cases.

This turntable is absolute garbage, btw. The plastic platter, horrifically cheap and unstable tonearm, cheap plastic tonearm, cheap plastic everything, will leave you wishing you had spent money on something better. This will sound hollow and rattle and just be a waste of time.

I hadn’t even thought about the platter. My Lenco is mostly plastic, but the platter is real metal, and makes up most of the weight of the turntable. You wouldn’t want to drop the platter on your toe.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.