£30 record player is fine

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/03/30-record-player-is-fine.html

1 Like

27tg8m

7 Likes

Amen! Collect vinyl if you want, but don’t delude yourself that even with a turntable better than this piece of crap that it is better than modern sound recording.

9 Likes

27tgai

6 Likes

Why is it whenever a turntable appears on Boingboing that it’s a lo-fi, children grade piece of garbage I wouldn’t play my most hated records on?

@jhbadger My wall of vinyl and Linn LP12 beg to differ, a nice spec turntable with a magnetic cartridge can be a sublime musical experience. And this comes from a guy with a wall of cd’s too.

8 Likes

Awesome, I can now go to my local thrift store and stock up on some Lawrence Welk albums, since that’s the only thing they ever seem to have.

3 Likes

Grab some Herb Alpert while you’re there - you know you’ll find it.

6 Likes

In England, certainly, there will also be a copy of Phil Collins’ ‘No Jacket Required’. It’s some kind of ancient bylaw.

6 Likes

Hammers, specially designed for hitting one’s head with. Where can I get one that’s both reasonably priced, and yet still effective? Does the manufacturer offer a matching themed aftercare kit? Can I upgrade the device to make custom marks on my skull? How long before this one becomes obsolete?

It’s complicated, I know…

1 Like

Probably Beegees or Engelbert Humperdink as the US corollary.

1 Like

::makes popcorn, settles in for the inevitable argument, is not disappointed::

5 Likes

[Amazon, but don’t]

Now we know what to put on a T-shirt. Can I order it from the BB store?

Alternatively, can this be the standard for all referral-code links from now on?

4 Likes

I just gave a Jensen turntable to the thrift. Bought it for $20 because it had adjustable speed & I needed to play some records. Sound was terrible: weak & tinny on its own & horribly distorted when augmented with speakers. I was glad to get it out of the house.

I’m looking to transfer some old vinyl to digital. Might anyone have a recommendation for a decent turntable of reasonable quality and cost for this purpose, with USB? (I have an old turntable so connection to a decent sound card is a possible solution too.)

I got this for $40. Surprisingly decent for the price.

The software they supply to convert vinyl to digital is a bit fiddly - they opted for simplicity instead of functionality - but it does the trick just fine with a bit of practice.

Don’t let any audiovinylophile hear you say that.

^^^^^ this. The turntable mentioned in this post probably has a ceramic cartridge, which makes it sound like it’s playing from the bottom of a coffee can. Just say no.

1 Like

Crowley was currently doing 110 mph somewhere east of Slough. Nothing about him looked particularly demonic, at least by classical standards. No horns, no wings. Admittedly he was listening to a Best of Queen tape, but no conclusions should be drawn from this because all tapes left in a car for more than a fortnight metamorphose into Best of Queen albums.

• Good Omens
5 Likes

13 Likes

Yes, this one is great. I used mine to digitize a bunch of 1960s-1970s radio station programming element discs my uncle saved from the trash on a construction job.

1 Like