£30 record player is fine

Kamahl records are available in every Australian op shop. Dido seems to be the CD equivalent.

1 Like

Is this the one you’re talking about:

I used to listen to Herb ironically then really started to get into the music and production. Only just recently discovered that he used members of the Wrecking Crew!

2 Likes

Ok I’m triggered and no I’m not an audiophile!

The quality of vinyl audio comes down to the mastering process and how much time is recorded onto a single or LP. The specs far exceed CD 44.1kz in both frequency response and dynamic range if done properly… and in the majority of commercial releases it was. I remember back in the 70’s and 80’s that “Hi Fi” was a consumer selling point, compared to now where portability, volume of content and accessibility are the norm.

As far as “modern sound recording” much of the production is being done on analogue consoles and old EQ’s and compressors with Pro Tools used for its editing advantage and hard drives as storage. The engineers in the industry today are using these tools for a reason and many have traversed the journey from analogue to digital and back again.

Yes vinyl has been romanticized but often the critics are displaying a prejudice against audiophile wankers and not the reality of the sound.

Having said that I kinda respect anyone who is obsessed about their stuff so can listen to a true audiophile as much as I can a mechanic or carpenter and get inspired.

Grand Master Flash was an electronics builder who made his own analogue mixer to crossfade between two turntables. Love to hear his voice in the discussion!

1 Like

I’ll bite.

As far as I’m concerned, the best reason to collect vinyl is because it’s fun. Big album art, the physical process of putting an album on which encourages you to sit down and give it your full attention, etc.

Part of the fun is trying to coax good sound out of an archaic analog electro-mechanical system.

44.1kHz 16 bit PCM can perfectly reproduce frequencies up to 22kHz* with the noise floor at -96dBFS (perceived noise floor is lower with proper dither on the output)*.

Frequency response above 22kHz is completely irrelevant unless you’re making music for dogs. I doubt any consumer vinyl reaches 96dB of dynamic range.

Unfortunately many CD releases don’t make use of the fantastic dynamic range a digital format can provide, instead pushing the signal as loud as it will go, since you can do that on a CD without making the needle jump out of the track or producing even more distortion on playback. Vinyl required a lower average signal level to work well, leaving room for nice dynamic peaks. Insofar as many vinyl releases sound better than their digital equivalents, it’s because they were produced from a different (more dynamic) master. But a CD produced from the same master, played back on a modern DAC with good dither, would sound better.

1 Like

At 20kHz the audio is reduced to pretty much a square wave @ 44.1 including antailiasing processes. Not exactly good high frequency reproduction.

Probably not the best forum for this discussion. See you in the next one… cheers

Lesbian seagull!!

Avoid the Ion like it’s radioactive. It has a ceramic cartridge, barely good enough for a child’s fidelity. Get any entry level Audio Technica turntable as they’re spec’ed with magnetic cartridges. Some have USB out, some have Bluetooth. There’s other brands but this is the first that comes to mind for cheapest entry point.
https://www.audio-technica.com/en-us/turntables/best-for/new-to-vinyl

2 Likes

I’m a big fan of both formats and obtain equal enjoyment when kicking back with a sazerac as the Augustus Pablo belts out of the Thiel SCS2 speakers and Sunfire sub.

@Howiemoticon Nobody in their 30s or older can typically hear above 20khz. If you’ve been to some loud concerts or shot guns in the military or worked as a mechanic in a loud shop I’d bet 15khz would be the limit.

1 Like

So very Sixties.

1 Like

Cheers to that! :tumbler_glass:

2 Likes

This is so close to audiovanillaphile, which is someone who broadcasts their love of the finest of the flavours. Like the Bare Naked Ladies.

1 Like

As a confirmed vanillaphile I approve.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.