This Image Does Not Exist

Originally published at: This Image Does Not Exist | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Considering the number of photoshopped and artfully modeled images representing artists work here; I’m not sure what exactly is meant by “real” in this context.
As a game, it’s not playing fair.

I’m more inclined to see it as another instance of “Holy shit, Dall-E 2 is going to blow the world of art and self expression apart.”

8 Likes

My art history tutor used to have a game called “Artist or Serial Killer” where you had to identify them from just a small black and white photo.

Eventually, even though they looked remarkably similar, we realised that all of the artist’ pictures were well lit and posed.

13 Likes

It is definitely not a pipe.

17 Likes

There’s a similar game: Meth addict or Hockey player?

13 Likes

Could’ve fooled me.

3 Likes

Imagine if the instructions to the AI began with the phrase “Interesting view of…”

3 Likes

I assume there’s a “Both” option.

7 Likes

This comment does not exist.

13 Likes

Lucky I didn’t read it then.

4 Likes

These efforts are certainly interesting, but it helps to keep well in mind that all of the (well published) versions of A.I. algorithms are complex elaborations of curve fitters. “Feed back neural networks aren’t just fitting curves you old @#$ you!” But they are, they’re setting their weighing coefficients in each ‘neuron’ by looped minimization to training sets. And that’s the rub: training sets. They end up coughing up, often fascinatingly re-arranged, whatever they’re trained on. (“So what!? just like humans!”) So if you train them with 10,000 stock images, by-damn, they produce pretty tolerable stock images. Still quite interesting for a sense of the gestalt.

7 Likes

AI generated images do indeed exist.

4 Likes

@birdsarentreal

2 Likes

I am not replying

4 Likes

To what?

3 Likes

Truly an NFT then.

2 Likes

So nothing showing them from their “starving artist” days, then.

2 Likes

No, even then, well lit and posed.

4 Likes

“Starving Artist” days are the time when photos are at their most posed and beautifully, if bleakly, lit.

3 Likes

Exactly. Wistful sells paintings.

3 Likes