This interactive op art will spank your eyeballs and twist your synapses

Originally published at: This interactive op art will spank your eyeballs and twist your synapses Boing Boing Interactive op art to tweak your mind

11 Likes

Now this is actually pretty cool, Allan Rose Hill.

17 Likes

well, that is fun!

7 Likes

My eyeballs must be masochists because they liked the smacking.

Anyway, when I was about 8 years old, I would occasionally visually fixate on the bathroom floor tiles in the apartment we used to live in. (Stay with me on this.) The tiles were 1"X1" and offered a very unusual illusion (very entertaining for me whilst sitting on the john). Without blinking, I would stare at the tiles until visual “burn-in” (is that the correct term?) began; that’s when things got interesting. I observed super-fast-moving, light-colored “striations” shooting along the tiles’ thin grouting and all in the same direction, then – instantly – the direction would change course by 90 degrees and the process would repeat. The direction-change may have been driven by micro-movements of my eyeballs, something I did not consider back then. It was just interesting to watch. Regarding the movement of the striations I observed, one can get a fair idea of what I saw, and that by looking at time-lapse/sped-up videos of big city traffic at night (except without the braking :grin: ) high above the traffic.

6 Likes

Juan Pinkus, after Bridget Riley’s Movement in Squares

1 Like

Woah, me too! I would also allow my eyes to soft-focus until I could see all the dust and crap on me eyeball lens. At least, that’s what I assumed it was.

3 Likes

This is good classic internet content. Thank you

2 Likes

I was at a festival earlier this year and there was a collection of trippy paintings - one in particular was a flowing abstract collection of blobs (think lava lampesque) on a black and white checkerboard pattern. I’d stare at it for 5-10 seconds and it would glitch in my visual field, like it was resetting, and start over. I stood there for way too long…:joy:

4 Likes

Try this one:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.