This is the best book of the past 125 years, according to New York Times Book Review readers

Originally published at: This is the best book of the past 125 years, according to New York Times Book Review readers | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Fun to see the crossover between this and the most hated lists. (Tolkien and Faulkner for example)
It is almost like the quality of a book is a matter of opinion and up to individual taste. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

12 Likes

I guess they’ve never read O Lost or Gravity’s Rainbow. sheesh

3 Likes

125 years. . .

Which means Moby Dick (publ. 1851) was “grandfathered out.”

So we don’t have to do the whole Moby-Dick-good-or-bad argument.

(phew)

11 Likes

Not Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health?

18 Likes

Ha Ha Ha Ha!

d8facdn-10afd261-cd4c-4174-8979-3250dbb0e381

11 Likes

The Fellowships of the Rings is a masterpiece of fictional world-building and creative linguistics, but as a novel it’s mediocre.

/runs and hides

13 Likes

Interesting slice between critical and popular taste.

4 Likes

or HUCK FINN.

3 Likes

That’s what happens when every 6th-grade teacher in the country assigns the same book as required reading.

15 Likes

Exactly.

TKAM is a piece of classist, outdated white-savior crap. Same for the movie (the popularity of which probably also bolsters that of the book).

11 Likes

1984 is a great fiction novel to read, but I wouldn’t put in the top 5.

4 Likes

I guess Scientology has dwindled to the point that they can no longer rig book polls. How sad!

8 Likes

The sequel is even worse with the racism.

6 Likes

Yeah, so I’ve heard. TKAM itself left me with no desire to read that posthumous sequel (that I guess is actually a prequel? Not that I actually care, etc.).

5 Likes

Atticus comes out as a complete asshole and it paints the first book even worse than it already was. It is a horrible mashup of boisterous, forward feminine attitudes (Scout is so avant garde with her short hair…) and “they must be guided!” racism. You are not missing out.

9 Likes

200w

5 Likes

It was an early rough draft of the other book

7 Likes

And there’s a very good reason it was never released while Lee was alive: it just isn’t any good.

7 Likes

Well… they’re no “Clitsy Weldon”… but these are all quite good. :wink: