This is the coolest piece of furniture that I've ever seen

8 Likes

We’ll tear your soul Sunday family dinner apart!

6 Likes

Oh, to be so young again that I’d be blown away by old hat.

Don’t think I’m kidding, because I’m not.

2 Likes
1 Like

Is it too much to expect robo-servers to pop out of the gaps as things unfold, throw on a tablecloth, and set the table? Is that so much?

4 Likes

Mom by ball teams coming to dinner, is that okay?

Yes honey, just rotate the table!

Yeah. if you can afford this table, you can afford a big enough dining room to make the expandable feature unnecessary.

You could also afford the boat, on which these make more sense.

Boats on which tables like this may be found are yachts.

IIRC, I saw just that (expanding segmented circular table on a yacht) on BB maybe two years ago.
Can’t be asked to look for it, though.

Based on the style of table, I thinking that clockwork automata would be more in keeping.

3 Likes

Looks awesome, but I’m imagining my fingers getting pinched in it.

1 Like

That is a thing of beauty, wonderful ingenuity.

1 Like

I want one of these tables before it’s finished so I can try putting a Celtic design on it that continues around the table in either position like this one that I did. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVTCuFpiIH4

1 Like

Aside from the risk to fingers, the inconvenience of having to move all the chairs out of the way and then retrieve all the extra chairs from storage is also not on particular display in these videos.

Actually, those types of tables have existed since the 19th century, some with manual insertion of extensions, and some with more elaborate mechanisms.

Here is a neat article about an early design: https://www.rauantiques.com/blog/mechanical-furniture/

The thunk as it locked into place on both ends is so satisfying

My wife just sent me a link to this chair. We both agreed that it probably would be fairly uncomfortable, but I still think that it’s nearly as cool looking as the expanding table.

download

1 Like

like to see that done with a mini version… just saying

These kinds of tables are lovely to watch in action, and I imagine it’d be very satisfying to successfully build one.

I got one of these, though, at a junk store for $170 -
robbins102

It holds six leaves inside it, so that you can add as many as you need for however much company you have, but I only have four. The total length is about four feet in the shortest configuration, and about ten in the longest.

For practicality, as usual, the rectangle wins, despite the beauty of the circle.

Found the perfect chair.