This is the coolest piece of furniture that I've ever seen

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/08/this-is-the-coolest-piece-of-f.html

12 Likes

Yeah, first saw something like this here a few years ago.

9 Likes

The expansion of the table has a nice, smooth-seeming action to it; that the table rotates as it separates out has a kaleidosocopic quality to it.

Which quality is helped a good deal by the marquetry (I think it’s marquetry) on the undersides of those foldable inserts?? and the patterning of the wood grain or possibly another kind of marquetry that forming those fleur-de-lis-like patterns on the main wedges.

All this designing makes the super-simple legs look a bit out of place (like someone else did the legs and they’re going through an IKEA phase).

3 Likes

Twelve years ago. https://boingboing.net/2006/12/09/radially-expanding-d.html

16 Likes

Beautiful but the thing must weigh a ton.

3 Likes

Cool if it fits your dining room. For most rectangular rooms, the standard pull the ends back and drop the leafs in the middle table type will work better.

Lovely work.

4 Likes

Innovation and apparent build quality doesn’t come cheap. From the linked website on the YouTube video:

The 6 to 8 person table, expanding from 1.30m to 1.75m is £9,000 - £10,500
The 6 to 10 person table, expanding from 1.50m to 1.90m is £10,000 - £11,500
The 8 to 12 person table, expanding from 1.75m to 2.30m is £13,000 - £14,500

5 Likes

Twelve years is enough to make it relevant to over 43 million people, though, so I think we can let it slide.

34 Likes

Worthy of a Bond villain.
It’s that good.

9 Likes

Wait I was expecting it to turn into a banana there.

33 Likes

They make hidden leaf rectangular tables, but they don’t do the cool auto expansion trick. To be fair I’ve seen this design done better by not having the extra step of flipping the rectangular sections out.

My only complaint with these designs are the extra depth it adds to the table top, that and you can’t do a skirt on all sections once expanded.

I’m a fan of the round pedestal that splits to form an oval with a hidden leg in the center. Done right you can easily take a 44" round to an 84"x44" oval and still have it sturdy.

6 Likes

Would a banana inlay in the center section work?

6 Likes

In fairness, I’m pretty sure these have been featured on bingbong (and the rest of the internet) quite a few times in the past 12 years, and this one where you have to fold out the leaves by hand like an animal is at actually at the low end of the byzantine-waste-of-money spectrum.

ETA the finger-pulpifying action seems like a standard feature though

16 Likes

It isn’t an expanding table until some gets a finger crushed.

8 Likes

Why haven’t we put the person that designed this thing to work on world peace

Because I want to play with the table! Me! Me! No, you can’t have a go!

6 Likes

So nobody from Camberwick Green rises from the centre? most disappointing :smiley:

9 Likes

You’re too late for Robert Jupe to solve world peace. The design of this table was patented in 1835. Guess we’re out of luck. http://www.core77.com/posts/27998/Did-This-Man-Miss-One-of-the-Most-Important-Design-Details-of-This-Jupe-Round-Expanding-Table

3 Likes

The paint-by-numbers assembly line paintings on the wall are really supporting the aesthetic.

1 Like