This is the reconstructed face of a pet dog that lived 4,500 years ago

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/16/this-is-the-reconstructed-face.html

4 Likes

He was a good boy.

30 Likes

Indeed! 14/10, Brant!

11 Likes

It looks a lot like a dog in my opinion.

1 Like

Ees-ah nice-ah doggiee.

Seymour?

8 Likes

6 Likes

He’s a cute puppy! Not a cute as my Clara Belle, but cute.

1 Like

As an aside: I always wanted to see if anyone checks the accuracy of these forensic artists’ abilities by giving them a skull from a person whose appearance is already known and then compare that reconstruction to an actual photograph. Like, if I gave a forensic artist a 3D print of Elvis’ skull without telling them who it was would the result be recognizable as Elvis?

Not that I think they’re just making it up as they go along or anything, just that it would be nice to have an idea how much leeway we should expect from the reconstructions.

6 Likes

HAH!!! Its already been done.

4 Likes

Here ya go.

Looks like sort of a mixed bag.

3 Likes

3 Likes

For a brief time, I used to analyse animal bone in archaeological sites, and came across a puppy buried in close proximity to a human child burial. This was Southern Ontario, about 2,000 years old, if I recall.

Also; up the street from me, in the 1990’s a car dealership was being torn up to make way for townhouses. The dealership had been there from the 1940’s. In the course of tearing up the concrete, a human skeleton was found.
The skeleton was determined to be female, and a forensic reconstruction was done and the police posted a picture in local and national newspapers. I think the cause of death was a skull fracture.
They got a hit; a man said that the woman was his mother, who had disappeared on a certain date in the early 1940’s. Best guess was that the woman and her husband, both patrons of a local booze house got into a fight, he killed her and dumped the body in the construction site, and the next day, the concrete was poured.

7 Likes

14/10; would ritually inter again?

2 Likes

He was a little dog named Snuggles.

1 Like

That was what I suspected, especially when reconstructions don’t have any soft tissue to provide clues. I mean I assume Marlon Brando’s skull was more or less the same shape when he did A Streetcar Named Desire as it was when he did The Island of Dr. Moreau.

brandos

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.