Archaeologists recreate face of man who lived 600 years ago in Scottland

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/23/archaeologists-recreate-face-o.html

2 Likes

Lil’ Bits

5 Likes

Looks like on of Giuliani’s associates.

8 Likes

He was a 47-year old with bad teeth and who stood 5’3" tall.

Yep, looks just like the kind of wee prick who’d glass ye at a pub in Glasgow on a rough Friday night.

11 Likes

From the artists who brought you Julius Caesar’s recreated face

10 Likes

Something about this is familiar…

39 Likes

I’d wager 30 quatloos on that newcomer.

9 Likes

Begbie manque.

3 Likes

So is it something this artist routinely does, making the face appear too small for the head? Or did these two people just have oddly proportioned heads?

9 Likes

Looks like the kind of guy who asks you if he looks like a clown to you.

6 Likes

Hahaha came for this

1 Like

Darn - you beat me to it! Have a like. :wink:

2 Likes

i was joking. not the same artist. the julius caesar one is weird but its a bit of an optical illusion because he had a lump on one side of his head and the angle of the photo is emphasizing that strangely. it may also be a bit off as a rendering. as an artist Its hard for me to believe a person could have such small features on a face as this new one but who knows. theres a lot of variety in human features.

9 Likes

Yeah, it seems like the output of someone used to doing more cartoonish exaggerations, but they ended up with software that tries for photo-realistic results and there was a disconnect.

That’s a highly plausible face, though. His upper head was apparently a bit weird, and his face rather broad, but it’s a normal face, really. In this Scottish one, the mouth at least seems to have been mis-positioned - given the nose to jawline distance, his mouth is implausibly close to his nose.

3 Likes

I’ve never heard of this “Scottland”…

9 Likes

Again (second time today) needs more @frauenfelder

Uncle Gareth?/s

1 Like

D’oh. I’ll read more carefully. :slight_smile:

Using low-bid facial reconstruction software.

1 Like

9 Likes