Archaeologists recreate face of man who lived 600 years ago in Scottland

_41503866_skin416_bbc

17 Likes

But, but, the idea that medieval people were stunted and unhealthy is just a myth!

If I worked there I would want to put all of the recreations on tinder and then watch the magic happen.

5 Likes

That guy looks like he came straight from the (pretty terrible) Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion character creation tool.

5 Likes

Yep. Just two or three more permutations and you’ve got Leto II, ‘God Emperor of Dune’.

4 Likes

Gawd, it’s like looking into a mirror.

5 Likes

Before the Industrial Revolution, the average man was 5’5". 5’3" isn’t much shorter than that.

2 Likes

And I thought I had problems finding shirts with a 17.5 neck!

2 Likes

I think the issue with the reconstruction is that the artist has failed to take into account the condition of the Jaws and related musculature and what effect they would have on the surface tissue. The availible photos of the skull are poor but it looks like the man has lost most of his teeth and his mandible shows signs of reabsorption. This would bring his jaw up and forward twisting the centre of the mouth up but pulling the corners down, think Popeye the Sailor or the old pervert from family guy for an exaggerated idea of what’s going on. Unfortunatly the artist has rendered all this as a mouth that’s simply too far up.

6 Likes

I see others have made all the jokes I came here to make. I guess I could try to restate them cleverly but I’m sure they’d fall flat. Very flat indeed.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.